Rooster breed suggestions

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
What are some of y’all suggestions for breeds of roosters? I know they are all individuals and different, but relatively speaking, which would be the least worrisome/aggressive birds?
These would be just hatchery stock, standard size, single combed, clean legged.
Have an Australorp now and he’s pretty good. Breeds I have considered are Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, New Hampshire.

What are some of y’all suggestions for breeds of roosters? I know they are all individuals and different, but relatively speaking, which would be the least worrisome/aggressive birds?
Have an Australorp now and he’s pretty good. Breeds I have considered are Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, New Hampshire.
I have a gold laced Wyandotte and he is the best! Very friendly with me and pet sitters I’ve had and he’s gentle with all the girls. He calls them over for all the best treats and let’s them eat them and I always see him looking out for danger. I love him. I did handle him alot as a chick and am unsure if that helps with the disposition

Attachments

• D7F67737-7B39-4836-A5CD-CA8B0BE2E634.jpeg
    D7F67737-7B39-4836-A5CD-CA8B0BE2E634.jpeg
    543.8 KB · Views: 15
I have heard Salmon Faverolles & Brahmas are usually tame as far as roosters go. Brahmas are big though, so if you have bantam hens that could be a problem for mating.

At the farm, our Buff Orpington is the sweetest of our 4. He is not good at protecting or wooing the ladies, but he has never even looked at any of us sideways. He just likes to hang out and eat. 😂

I have a gold laced Wyandotte and he is the best! Very friendly with me and pet sitters I’ve had and he’s gentle with all the girls. He calls them over for all the best treats and let’s them eat them and I always see him looking out for danger. I love him. I did handle him alot as a chick and am unsure if that helps with the disposition
I have a Barred Rock Rooster and agree handling him a lot as a chick is key, as is continually holding every one to two weeks…. I don’t think he is the best Rooster in regards to looking out for his flock but is a gentle mater so far… I had a few run ins but it’s usually because he is particular about the shoes I wear 😂.

However, in general I am the only one he tolerates and is what consider being part of their pecking order…. Hope this helps.

Japanese bantam. Like no doubt.
Heres some pros and cons

Pros: (for hens and roosters)
Quiet (mine rarely crows)
Docile
Amazingly sweet
Not aggressive whatsoever towards little children
Stunning, roosters have a amazing green sheen
Gentle when pecking other chickens and most seem unfazed if pecked by another bird. If their eating food bigger chickens don’t want them to eat and they give them a firm bite, they carry on eating it anyway.

Cons: (for hens and roosters)
If you aren’t with them a good amount, they can become skittish. (A bit faster then a normal chicken)

If you get longed legged ones they arent show quality, but short legged are.
If your breeding short legs they tend to be harder to hatch because of the semi-lethal creeper gene

Im going to be hatching some eggs hopefully in March 1rst. If you would be interested in roosters (or some hens) let me know. I can’t keep them all.

Last edited:
This is my sister's rooster Ranger! He's wonderful, she has kids running around and he's never been aggressive with her kids or them. We come and visit and he isn't mean to us at all. A good lookout for the girls and beautiful as well!
20220227_130936~2.jpg

Blue [BBS] Ameraucana. I ordered 16 day old chicks. 15 hens (10 different breeds, including a Blue [BBS] Ameraucana hen), and 1 Blue [BBS] Ameraucana rooster. It's my first time having chickens, or dealing with roosters. And he's very tame. He let's me pick him up. He likes being pet. He started crowing around 16-17 weeks. They'll be 22 weeks tomorrow. And just got my first egg from one of my Black Copper Marans on Thursday.

Attachments

• 20230108_220526.jpg
    20230108_220526.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom