Rooster? Breed?

So here’s some pics of the darker one in the sunshine. Some patterning in the wings, but it doesn’t look like Sussex patterning to me

Attachments

• 6367019A-3D3B-4906-8D48-BCA57E661D7E.jpeg
    6367019A-3D3B-4906-8D48-BCA57E661D7E.jpeg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 8A36E730-AE0F-4D25-8C46-52820A58CFD2.jpeg
    8A36E730-AE0F-4D25-8C46-52820A58CFD2.jpeg
    800.4 KB · Views: 12
My thoughts on why the larger/lighter may be an Isa brown cockerel: from my understanding of Isa browns(and other red sex links) is that they are crossbreeds... which means that their appearance isn’t always consistent. They could display feathering traits of anything that had been a part of their genetic line. Yes, sex link Roos are generally lighter than the hens, but I have never actually seen a white one. As a new chick he was very nearly white, which would be consistent with the sexlinks. And as he’s growing he’s getting a bit more buff in color, definitely darker than he was just after hatch. Time will tell I suppose, and there’s only so much that I actually care, since I am not planning on breeding for any more than just my own backyard mixes... and I’m definitely not curious enough to pay for any genetic testing 😂

I’m very much appreciating everyone’s feedbacks and point of view! It would indeed be quite the strange occurrence if neither of my “RIR” chicks actually turned out to be RIR... even stranger still if they were two other completely separate breeds. I know mixups happen, but the odds on that seem a little far

^^^especially since this tub of “RIR” was right next to a tub of isa Browns or red sexlink, can’t remember which because I didn’t want them... And the only other breeds in the store that day were Barred rocks and Color packs, which I got and are definitely developing accurately. I think chances are good that maybe the staff mixed up the signage. Seems more likely than getting the only two randomly different chicks in the barrel. Idk though.

Back
Top Bottom