Rooster can't move, PLEASE HELP!

Ok so i have decided a few things,
1. I am probably just going to cull my rooster :( as i am getting a new one.
2 with the hen, i read that it might just be a weakness, or hurt its leg, and to give it an aspirin and to come back in an hour, and if its not limping, that it is just a sprain,
3. If that fails, i am going to see if it is egg bound, never thought about this, so i am going to put it in some warm water and work the egg out,
4. If all fails, i might have to cull it too, but not any time soon.

Last edited:
When you get a new rooster I would advise that you keep it separate for at the least 15 days. You do not want to be spreading around diseases in your flock. Not really sure why you keep adding roosters in so quickly. When you buy a new one there should be quarantine in there. You need to keep it away from the others 15 to 30 days, if it acts sickly then it needs to be culled before your others get near it. It sounds to me like you are not quarantining them. I would never put a new hen or rooster in with my flock without that happening first.

Proper quarantine is actually 30-60 days in a completely different area and airspace, and even this can not 100% rule out a bird carrying a disease while showing no symptoms. Still, it is better than no quarantine at all, since the stress of moving birds around often (not always) manifests as any present disease showing itself within those 30-60 days.

dunno if someone has already mentioned this, but he may also have listeriosis. I had a rooster who died from what I thought was Mareks, as he exhibited the classic neurological symptoms, but necropsy showed he had listeria monocytogenes in his kidney and spleen. This traveled to his brain and killed him.

You can treat this with strong tetracylclines.

Proper quarantine is actually 30-60 days in a completely different area and airspace, and even this can not 100% rule out a bird carrying a disease while showing no symptoms. Still, it is better than no quarantine at all, since the stress of moving birds around often (not always) manifests as any present disease showing itself within those 30-60 days.

Depends on where you live, have a registered breeding facility or not, the regular backyard breeder doesn't have to go by laws like many of us do. However I would say 30 days at the least.

Back
Top Bottom