rooster can't stand on his legs

rumbone

Chirping
15 Years
Jan 28, 2009
We have a 7 month old rooster who from day to the next barely can stay on his legs.
He eats fine doesn't seem to have any injuries.
He went in his coop fine in the evening and next morning he barely walks.
There are no signs of predators at all.
What could be the problem?
Please help

Please describe the position of his legs. Does he hold one sticking out? Does he just limp a bit? Has he had any trouble with scaly leg mites? Have you checked him for bumblefoot? How high is his roost? Could he have injured himself jumping down?

I have had the same problem with my rooster for 4 weeks now. He limps very badly on one leg and it has heat in it. There is no puncture site and no sign of bumblefoot. He was freeranging for about 4 hours one day just fine and I looked out and he was limping. I brought him into the laundry room and put him in a playpen for 1 week.I kept thinking that he had a strained
muscle ect. but, he's not improved. He is still able to hobble and breed, freerange and so on. He is a BR 6 months old not on layer feed and no other roos to fight with. Any ideas?

I had a hen a few weeks ago that couldn't walk I didn't want the others pecking at her so I put her in a pen with a wire bottom by herself. She could walk on the wire but not on the flat groung for some reason. After a few days she wanted out of that pen so I opened the door, she jumped out and has been fine since. Maybe just isolate that rooster for a few days and give his leg/foot time to heal on it's own.

The feet look fine, he is about 1,5 feet tall
The funny part is that in the morning it seems to be worse and during the day it seems to get better.
It looks like he walks and goes through his legs, like he is tumbling back ward on his butt.
His feet look fine and he doesn't favor one over the other.
When he sits on his hind legs and butt they are straight forward.
I have no idea what could be wrong.

Thanks for helping Casey

Back
Top Bottom