Young Rooster can't walk all of the sudden

Tazsa

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2021
I just found this rooster sitting on the ground unable to defend himself against his brother. He doesn't have any visible wounds but his legs seem paralyzed. He is walking on his knees but his lower legs don't work. The rest of the flock seems fine. What could cause this?
20240215_175004.jpg

I just found this rooster sitting on the ground unable to defend himself against his brother. He doesn't have any visible wounds but his legs seem paralyzed. He is walking on his knees but his lower legs don't work. The rest of the flock seems fine. What could cause this?
View attachment 3749172
I'd move him to a separate area so he's protected.

Look him over again for any signs of injury, abrasions or bruising. While you are checking him, take note of any lice/mites that he may have.

What do you feed him, including treats?

I'd work on hydration and see if he will eat a little something for you.
Start him on vitamins - give 1/2 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E. Bits of scrambled egg would be good to give to help with the uptake of E.

Is he pooping? What's that like - photos are always welcome.

How old is he? Marek's disease does come to mind. How many roosters do you have?

We have him in a crate in the garage. He has a good appetite. We gave him water with garlic and acv and sprinkled nutritional yeast on his food. His poop is white and green. Here is a poop pic.
20240215_223600.jpg

We have him in a crate in the garage. He has a good appetite. We gave him water with garlic and acv and sprinkled nutritional yeast on his food. His poop is white and green. Here is a poop pic. View attachment 3749338
Give him plain fresh water, do not givehim garlic or avc as they won't help and can actually hurt him.
What had he been eating as his everyday diet?

We have him in a crate in the garage. He has a good appetite. We gave him water with garlic and acv and sprinkled nutritional yeast on his food. His poop is white and green. Here is a poop pic. View attachment 3749338
That's great, but I'd still do what @Wyorp Rock suggested. It'll help him if it's neurological or a vitamin deficiency.

"I'd work on hydration and see if he will eat a little something for you.
Start him on vitamins - give 1/2 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E. Bits of scrambled egg would be good to give to help with the uptake of E."

He may have been injured, but I would give the vitamins that Wyorp Rock recommended. Mareks might be a possibility. Human B complex can help if he is walking or sitting on his hocks. The E can help if it is neurological. Walmart sells some with decent prices. Stop ACV and garlic, which do nothing for chickens. Let us know if he improves soon.

Back
Top Bottom