Rooster can't stand up

20190523_124751.jpg
More of the garden they can use

The sulfa antibiotic that you are using is similar to bactrim that we use here for certain illnesses. I have heard of chickens having lameness from an internal organ infection or inflammation causing swelling against the psiatic nerves in the legs, so the antibiotic could be helpful if that is the problem. What caused the large wound on the left side of his comb? Was it there before he became lame? An injury could be considered as a possibility. Hopefully, it is not Mareks disease, but hard to know without having him tested with a necropsy if he dies. The vitamins that you are using are probaly fine, but chickens need vitamin B 2 for leg health. A deficiency can cause lameness and curled under toes. Good luck with your rooster.

OK an update. He is on his feet been back with the girls for a few days. First night he even climbed the rack at night. However this morning I noticed one of his feet was bleeding. I managed to catch him, he is moving, but not too fast. I covered it in Bettadine antiseptic solution. Then left him to enjoy the sunshine with the hens.
Tonight I see his other foot is bleeding.
Could he be harming himself or one of the hens doing it ?
Im thinking I need to get better vitamins B2 in particular.
And should I separate him from the girls again ?
Any thoughts would be gratefully received

Are the others possibly pecking his legs? Can you get a close up of his legs and feet? It is possible that he could be pecking his legs if he has scaly leg mites. Nustock cream would be good to put on his legs for either pecking or for scaly leg mites.
upload_2019-6-1_17-57-38.jpeg

I was thinking this maybe a possibility others or he himself are pecking his feet. As he has only just started walking again its not too difficult to catch him, he still has a limp. I thought tomorrow I would bath his feet in Epsom salts and have a proper look for scaly feet.
I cant get Nu Stock in France but have a pot of Vaseline which I have seen in some threads is recommended for mites. I also have a chemical to paint on if its the hard scaly thing but not sure if it can be used if there is broken skin. I will check tomorrow.

Completely forgot to say that wound on his comb is a bit of a mystery. I thought he had always had a dark circle on both sides. Never weeping just a different colour. However Im wondering if I am wrong because during the time he could stand, one side appeared red and weepy and got bigger. Then after he had the antibiotics and minerals the mark started to disappear from both sides. Now the dark spot is back on both sides of the comb but perfectly dry

Do you have sulfur powder there, possibly at a garden center? That is the active ingredient in Nustock, and it can be mixed with vaseline. But vaseline or other oils may be used alone. The dark spot on the comb looks to be an injury from something sharp or rough, or possibly from pecking. Maybe he is being bullied by the other chickens.

Today when I found Maurice he was squashed down between the side of the shed and the hutch, as if he was trying to get away from the hens I feel.
I had a look at his feet and bathed and cleaned them in Epsom salts. I cant see signs of scaly feet but he has several sores. I put Betadine over them and moved him to the other side of the shed separated from the hens.
I have my suspicions its a newish hen that I got 2 months ago, oddly I was worried he would pick on her, so I was very careful to sneak her and 2 others late at night in the dark.
Do you think I need to get sulphur if there is no scaly feet and can you recommend something for the sore feet and the patches on his comb ?
And once these appear better do you think if I sneak Maurice in late at night he may once again become king of the roost ?
Sorry about all the questions !

If you could get a close-up picture of his feet and legs, we could see if there are leg mites, since they cause the scales to become raised. The sulfur was just a suggestion to make a homemade Nustock Cream. You may use antibiotic ointment on the comb, and castor oil or other oils for scaly leg mites.

Back
Top Bottom