Rooster Chat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Jul 8, 2014.

1. EK1955

EK1955 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    NW Florida Gulf Coast
    Got 2 new roosters this morning. Poor things almost went to animal control (local ordinance) My resident Roo, not too happy. Had 1st fight and my resident "Copper" still in charge. So far there is peace.
    I was told that "Copper" is a Black Copper Marans and the two newbies were Easter Eggers.
    [​IMG] Copper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Bernie

[​IMG] Colonel Sanders

2. AlHawk

AlHawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2015
    Melbourne Florida
    I had 2 cockerels slip through the "sexed" chicks crack. They're both about 12/13 weeks old (neither crowing). One EE & one RIR. I only have 13 total in my flock (chicken math 6). The RIR cockerel came up with a de-feathered spot at the base of his tail about the size of a quarter last week that I assume was the other cockerel's doing although I didn't catch him in the act.

My thought was that I needed to get rid of one of the cockerels. Two Questions:
    1. Am I right in assuming 2 roos for 11 hens is too much and one needs to go?
    2. If the EE is the dominant but I'd rather keep the RIR, will he act more assertive after the EE roo is gone or will he remain kinda submissive?

tia

3. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    I agreee!!!Please keep an eye on the older hens interacting with him. My 1st year we had no males, then 2nd year 2 males and more pullets. My lead hen went nuts! She would crow and attack the large male if he came too close. She was a sweet bird to others and me but Fester and her did not mesh at all. Crazy girl did not want to be bossed around.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  4. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I have three White Chantecler Cocks...need new pics. Below is my newest treasure. 5 month old Dark Cornish cockerel that weighs 7.6 pounds. His breeder calls him Shorty so I guess that will stick.

EDIT: My farm is remote and it matters not the least how much my cocks crow. Actually, I like to hear them when they get into a 'crow-off'. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  5. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    the crow is natural so why stop it if you can't keep a cockrel or don't like the noise why get one
    Cheers

1 person likes this.
  6. Amiti

Amiti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Helios, my cockerel, has an amazing voice. Nice clear tenor. I enjoy listening to him. I don't live in town so I don't have to worry about ordinances. If my neighbors wanted to say something, I would mention their dogs or cats (since I live at the lake and get too many weekend warriors) or parties till 3am or worse, fireworks. I am a good neighbor, clean up my yard of others trash. Any who tries to complain about my roo will finally hear my opinions on their rude behavior.

7. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    I have 3 roosters crowing off and on all day. we had no neighbors for a year so no one to complain. When the new owner next door stopped in we spoke and warned them of my fowl addiction and talkative boys. They are fine with them and will come over to watch them now too. We deal with their dogs barking fine but have let them know this year I have added a better watch dog to my flock. I hope I can stand the guineas myself!

8. Winter1

Winter1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2015
    Virgina, USA
    I have 2 roosters, Sunny the Silkie and Diamond the Easter egger/ Plymouth Rock mix. Diamond will be finding a new home soon...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

I had Dark Cornish Rooster....his name was "Deano the Dinosaur Rooster" he was a Terror..he took on the dog and almost ended up dead! Her took me on every time I entered the pen...took to bringing a #2 shovel with me...I'd launch him with it when he rushed me...he took many Unplanned Flights...he was evil.

10. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I got a bantam pullet he other day and Zeus is loving her.

I got rid of my other two roosters.Zeus and his brother Foggy were trying to kill eachother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by