Rooster Chat

Pics
Just curious,do any of you have hens hat no mater what pick on your roosters.My rooster is nice an d will just do his wing dance warning her,but she for some reason still trie sbossing him around.

Just curious,do any of you have hens hat no mater what pick on your roosters.My rooster is nice an d will just do his wing dance warning her,but she for some reason still trie sbossing him around.

You didn't say how old the birds in question are. My HENS shove all the cockerels around but every female bird on the property is differential to the fully mature cock-birds, which are also kind to the hens/pullets as well, unless they are demanding certain favors and the females try to decline. Things can get a bit brutal then but no one looses any skin over it...the cock-birds simply have their way. It's all part of breeding chickens.

He is 10 months.I know he has beat the crap out of all of them just by how nervous they act around him.He shows no fear.she doesn't like him to share with here in her food area.

It's early and no coffee yet...I'll get back on this one.
hide.gif

Last edited:
She did this to my 6 year old rooster.Yeah the hens are frighten of him.accept her,she gets furious during feeding times.he breeds everybody,and he isn't not scared to take her on.She just bulks up at him knows better not to flogg him.

Hi guys, I wasn't sure where to look, but my rooster is now 10 months old (cream legbar) and is happily mating his hatch mate (CL pullet), but when he does his mating-dance to my other 3 hens they turn away/run away, why won't they let him mate, I'd have thought he was old enough? He's dominant over all of them... The other 3 hens consist of a 4-5year old hybrid (looks similar to a cuckoo maran), then 2 hens that are roughly 1.5 years old, one being a welsummer that is very skittish and the other a cross that lays green eggs (probably CL cross due to crest and no muffs/beard). So, anyone know why this is happening?

sounds like not all your hens like him. I have a few who do the same to my standard EE roo they like my bantam rooster better

Tobit, They might come around to liking him. I'd just give them time. Are you hatching out fertilized eggs? Otherwise, don't worry about them mating. Is he still protective over his flock?

Hi guys, I wasn't sure where to look, but my rooster is now 10 months old (cream legbar) and is happily mating his hatch mate (CL pullet), but when he does his mating-dance to my other 3 hens they turn away/run away, why won't they let him mate, I'd have thought he was old enough? He's dominant over all of them... The other 3 hens consist of a 4-5year old hybrid (looks similar to a cuckoo maran), then 2 hens that are roughly 1.5 years old, one being a welsummer that is very skittish and the other a cross that lays green eggs (probably CL cross due to crest and no muffs/beard). So, anyone know why this is happening?
I wouldn't worry about it...Sometimes it takes a while for the more mature hens to come around. Obviously they are not impressed by this young cockrel. They will have to see him as dominant before they will, willingly submit to him. Do any of the hens "Put the run" on him? If they do, that will prove my point. I've had young cockrels that succeeded in mating only to have the object of their desire turn on them and chase them around the run afterwards. That's proof enough that he isn't in the dominant position yet.

Back
Top Bottom