Rooster Chat

Pics
Well first of all, we only see her maybe 2 times a yr, 2nd there are no other kids, in the house or that come over. I have a full acre of land that they free range on and they have an enclosed coop he can be kept in if need be. He is NOT aggressive with my husband or myself. This was the first time he did ANYTHING like this. I have talked to many other people that deal with chickens, and I have got the same response, they can be weird around little kids. Now that I know this, I will not let him out when she is around. I do not kill my pets over a situation I was not aware of.
Since she went home, he is back to his same old self again.

Cruisnmoma, he may be fine with you and other adults but his aggressive behavior towards your grandchild is a warning. He could become worse in actions but also he can pass the aggressive trait on. Having a male with that behavior is not something I would want in my flock personally. My chickens are my kids as well but if I had to deal with a male like him I would cull so he does not pass it along. I have 3 males and I know if any of my guys turn mean they will be culled, no matter how it will hurt me to do so. I have small children here weekly and would not feel comfortable with a male who would attack anyone.

When you say pass it on, I am guessing you mean babies. We are not breeding them, just have them for eggs. I am at the max for the amount of chickens I can have. So no problem there. If he were to turn on us that would be one thing, As of now I do not see that in him. I have NEVER had a rooster before, nor do I have local friends that do. So I was not sure what was going on when he was doing that. Again we did not plan on getting a rooster, but he is here and it is a learning experince. From what I have been told, they can be a bit high strung the first yr, so we will just have to see how it goes.

Bump!

I would like to see if this can take off again
smile.png

I have had a big changed since my last two roosters.
I used to have a White Leghorn and a Yokohama but my WL sadly disappeared one day with no apparent reason why and I sold my Yokohama as I was no longer able to keep him.

As of today I have two very handsome French Wheaten Marans. One is roughly 8 months old and the other is over a year.
They both have their own little harem of pullets along with a pen each so that they don't fight.

How many roosters do you have and what breeds
smile.png
?

I currently have two roosters and ten cockerels, with about seven of them crowing and mating. The breeds are Jersey Giant, Game x Silkie, Mille Fleur D' Uccle, Icelandic, Orpington, Mottled Cochin, Speckled Sussex, and Orpington crossed with either of the two first roosters. A D'Uccle and the Orpington are going to my grandmother with some hens, and the Sussex might go to someone as a pair, but the rest I am keeping.
I really like my boys.

I currently have two roosters and ten cockerels, with about seven of them crowing and mating. The breeds are Jersey Giant, Game x Silkie, Mille Fleur D' Uccle, Icelandic, Orpington, Mottled Cochin, Speckled Sussex, and Orpington crossed with either of the two first roosters. A D'Uccle and the Orpington are going to my grandmother with some hens, and the Sussex might go to someone as a pair, but the rest I am keeping.
I really like my boys.

Oh wow that's quite an assortment.
I'd love to see some pictures of your Icelandic and JG's as we don't have them here in Australia.

One of the newest additions to my flock,, Fancy Boy,, a fine looking Black Minorca,, surprised the heck out of me yesterday when I witnessed him at 9 weeks of age trying to perform his "manly duties" with the younger pullets he was raised with. :D I thought I had seen him dancing and posing earlier that morning but just thought I had mis-wittnessed his behavior and told myself he's to young. Boy did he prove me wrong! LOL
Our other fellas are Zues: Splash Cochin, Apallo: Partridge Cochin, Studly: Sagitta, plus a gorgeous Salmon Faverolle we haven't named yet,, and a few others too young to even think about names yet.

One of the newest additions to my flock,, Fancy Boy,, a fine looking Black Minorca,, surprised the heck out of me yesterday when I witnessed him at 9 weeks of age trying to perform his "manly duties" with the younger pullets he was raised with. :D I thought I had seen him dancing and posing earlier that morning but just thought I had mis-wittnessed his behavior and told myself he's to young. Boy did he prove me wrong! LOL
Our other fellas are Zues: Splash Cochin, Apallo: Partridge Cochin, Studly: Sagitta, plus a gorgeous Salmon Faverolle we haven't named yet,, and a few others too young to even think about names yet.
I caught my six - week - old mottled Cochin cockerel mating a month - old turkey hen a few days ago. And he was doing it right!

Back
Top Bottom