Rooster chick

Francis noyes

Hatching
May 20, 2020
I just got my chicks today so they are all 24 hours old. I’m wondering if a chick can already start showing signs of being a rooster. When I put my hand in the brooder all of the chicks scurry away from my hand while my ameracauna stays put its head up and sometimes will peck at me. They are only one day old so I have no clue if this is just normal behavior or if I have a rooster. Does anyone know if she is a rooster or not. Any tips on figuring out how? Thanks!

If you have different breeds, you may be seeing more of a breed personality difference. Or you might be seeing an individual personality difference. Or you may just have a chick who is feeling good enough to check you out. (Remember, birds have no fingers, so they "feel" you with their beaks.)

I raise several breeds, and Ameraucanas are among the more assertive chicks, compared to Delawares and Crevecoeurs. Not necessarily aggressive, just less afraid.

You will probably have to wait a while to see sexing signs. I don't know of any early signs in Ameraucana chicks. I would like to know if there are any, too.

In Crevecoeurs, starting about the first week after hatch, boy chicks will challenge one another by getting in one another's face and standing as tall as possible; sometimes they accidentally challenge a Crevecoeur girl, who reacts by staring at the challenger in disbelief ("What, you can't tell I'm a girl?") or by walking away in total disinterest. This Crevecoeur behavior is 100% accurate in predicting sex, in my experience. I have not ever seen Delaware or Ameraucana chicks do this until much later, when the feathering is already starting to give the boys away.

Not that early usually*. Some chicks just peck more often.i did notice this year that two of my roosters were not afraid of me at all. Super friendly birds now, but they were way more curious and less skittish than the three hens from the same breed

If you have different breeds, you may be seeing more of a breed personality difference. Or you might be seeing an individual personality difference. Or you may just have a chick who is feeling good enough to check you out. (Remember, birds have no fingers, so they "feel" you with their beaks.)

I raise several breeds, and Ameraucanas are among the more assertive chicks, compared to Delawares and Crevecoeurs. Not necessarily aggressive, just less afraid.

You will probably have to wait a while to see sexing signs. I don't know of any early signs in Ameraucana chicks. I would like to know if there are any, too.

In Crevecoeurs, starting about the first week after hatch, boy chicks will challenge one another by getting in one another's face and standing as tall as possible; sometimes they accidentally challenge a Crevecoeur girl, who reacts by staring at the challenger in disbelief ("What, you can't tell I'm a girl?") or by walking away in total disinterest. This Crevecoeur behavior is 100% accurate in predicting sex, in my experience. I have not ever seen Delaware or Ameraucana chicks do this until much later, when the feathering is already starting to give the boys away.
Thank you so much this is so helpful!

It *might* be a boy. Or it could be a very outgoing girl. But I personally would've said no to this chick if I'd seen it in a bin at a feed store, same with chicks with thick legs. Anything to reduce the likelihood of getting an oops!boy in the pullet bin.

Back
Top Bottom