Rooster chicks - what to do with them

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ren2014, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I checked my invoice and it confirmed... MALES included for warmth. I checked with Ideal and they said they are probably all White Leghorns. The girls I ordered are EE's and Barred Rocks. Of the extra 9 males, 5 remain. My husband suggests we eat them but because we are brand new to chickens, I do not know what to do with these guys until then?? Can a flock have more than one rooster?? At what age do they start mating? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

raise them all together, and when you think they look big enough, eat them.

Even though it is a bunch of males, since they being raised together it won't be a problem. When it DOES start to be a problem, they are usually large enough to eat.

Now, a leghorn doesn't have much meat on it, so don't wait for it to get big and beefy, it wont.

BUT, that doesn't mean that it wont be extremely tasty, t just wont look anything like a store bought chicken.

read through this article and do NOT forget, LOW cooking temperatures!!!!

Once you start to cook at a high temperature all of that very flavorful meat suddenly becomes very tough and stringy.

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/cookingwheritagechicken.pdf

1 person likes this.
  3. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    Also plenty of Youtube video's on how to kill and prepare a chicken if you don't already know.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you for the information and the article. It's good to hear they will be ok for awhile. At about what age do you think they will be big enough to eat? At what age do roos start bothering the girls?

5. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    O thank you! I do not and my husband will need to learn. I'm not gonna do it[​IMG]

6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

1 person likes this.
  7. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Alaskan,
    [​IMG] I will do just that, too funny and yeah for the kids revenge:) I did use the roos to test our Great Pyrenees out. One was raised around chickens so I didn't think there would be any problem with her. Our big Pyr Lewis didn't even notice the little guys on the ground. Thanks again for the great advice.

8. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I'm over run with roosters right now, but I'm down to 16 of them. They aren't meat birds so I have to feed them forever and at 8 months they still look like a scrawny buzzard and barely worth killing. The ones that get to be a nuisance meet the hatchet soonest.
    My rule of thumb is "When they start to crow it's time to go" but they're usually a bit tough by then.

1 person likes this.
  9. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I took my extra chicks to the local feed store, they were about to gladly take them from me and sell them but a lady in the store took them off my hands. As long as they are healthy I would think a local small feed store that sells chicks would take them, its all profit for them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Great rule! I like that, 'when they start to crow it's time to go.' I don't want them 'bothering' my girls either. Which comes first... the crow or the interest in females??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by