Rooster Comb infection? Please reply.

BantamUsername

Chirping
Feb 26, 2018
Hello, this 6 month old Mixed Breed Bantam Rooster has a Weird White and Yellow thing on it's comb
IMG_20180404_092206.jpg
IMG_20180404_091533.jpg

How long has it been there? Is the white stuff just dry skin or does it look like it has puss in it?

Injuries happen... but if it isn't pussy (that word don't look right sorry), then it doesn't actually look infected to me... like extra red, swollen, and hot... :confused:

:fl

How long has it been there? Is the white stuff just dry skin or does it look like it has puss in it?

Injuries happen... but if it isn't pussy (that word don't look right sorry), then it doesn't actually look infected to me... like extra red, swollen, and hot... :confused:

It's actually dry and crusty

Dor

It's been there for about 2 months

I posted on your duplicate thread to use some castor oil, coconut oil, clotrimazole, or mycostain cream ( the last 2 are antifungals) in case it is dry skin or favus, a fungal infection. That said, it still looks like an injury or peck wound. I have seen similar ones on my roosters in the past. They can take a long time to heal.

They can take a long time to heal.
My head rooster has a couple wounds on his comb. Even from the stag pen he would stick his head through the fence and a couple of hens will gently pick away the scabs and "clean" it for him. They aren't doing so aggressively, and he stands there and LETS them do it... pulling back if they do get too rough. But it's still like picking the scab off a would, causes it to bleed SLIGHTLY and have to start healing all over again. It is progressively getting smaller. But definitely SLOWLY.

Dor

It's been there for about 2 months
What changes have you seen during that time?

Agree with the other posters' suggestions. :thumbsup

Lots of people have Aquaphor in their cabinet already too, and is a known good product, even by doctors... if you happen to have it, might be another good choice.

It doesn't look major bad or like pox or anything of that sort, to ME. It's great that you are trying to help him out though and being aware and cautious. :thumbsup

My head rooster has a couple wounds on his comb. Even from the stag pen he would stick his head through the fence and a couple of hens will gently pick away the scabs and "clean" it for him. They aren't doing so aggressively, and he stands there and LETS them do it... pulling back if they do get too rough. But it's still like picking the scab off a would, causes it to bleed SLIGHTLY and have to start healing all over again. It is progressively getting smaller. But definitely SLOWLY.

Lots of people have Aquaphor in their cabinet already too, and is a known good product, even by doctors... if you happen to have it, might be another good choice.

It doesn't look major bad or like pox or anything of that sort, to ME. It's great that you are trying to help him out though and being aware and cautious. :thumbsup
The changes I've seen that the other side is turning white slowly

I have Aquaphor the creamy oily one, will it poison the rooster?

I have Aquaphor the creamy oily one, will it poison the rooster?
I think the white is drying... though I could be wrong.

It won't poison the COCKEREL, just rub it on his comb and don't let it drip into his eyes. It is recommended for minor burns and scrapes. Probably apply 2-3 times per day if you can. (I am curious what the active ingredient is.) And see if you notice any difference... I would say (maybe) by one week. If I didn't see any noticeable difference I would not continue spending my time or product to treat. And would consider leaving it alone or trying another product if it seemed needed. Also maybe pay attention to his actions and see if he is sticking his head in somewhere while he is foraging that it damaging it repeatedly.

I emphasized cockerel so I could share with you that before 1 year old they are technically known as pullet if female and cockerel if male. After one year is when they earn their badges as hen and rooster. Though it's my understanding that in the show arena rooster is also not an accepted term and it is actually cock. :old But in my family we still call them roo in casual conversation even though we know there is a difference. :p It doesn't matter when it's casual, but if you do get any serious issues it can heavily impact the suggestions people make and their accuracy. I did see you state his age in your original post though. :)

Feel free to post a pic of his full beauty. ;)

I think the white is drying... though I could be wrong.

It won't poison the COCKEREL, just rub it on his comb and don't let it drip into his eyes. It is recommended for minor burns and scrapes. Probably apply 2-3 times per day if you can. (I am curious what the active ingredient is.) And see if you notice any difference... I would say (maybe) by one week. If I didn't see any noticeable difference I would not continue spending my time or product to treat. And would consider leaving it alone or trying another product if it seemed needed. Also maybe pay attention to his actions and see if he is sticking his head in somewhere while he is foraging that it damaging it repeatedly.

I emphasized cockerel so I could share with you that before 1 year old they are technically known as pullet if female and cockerel if male. After one year is when they earn their badges as hen and rooster. Though it's my understanding that in the show arena rooster is also not an accepted term and it is actually cock. :old But in my family we still call them roo in casual conversation even though we know there is a difference. :p It doesn't matter when it's casual, but if you do get any serious issues it can heavily impact the suggestions people make and their accuracy. I did see you state his age in your original post though. :)

Feel free to post a pic of his full beauty. ;)
Would it be better to use coconut oil?

Back
Top Bottom