Rooster comb issue

blriley

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 17, 2016
I am not sure what is going on with my Buff's comb. I'm not sure if I need to do something or keep watching at this point. We live in Alabama but it was 23 degrees last night and 32 the night before. I don't know if this could be frostbite or some type of bacteria. He is closed in our coop at night with the ladies and none of them have any signs of frostbite. I added some thick plastic over the screen to help with the cold we are having.
I would greatly appreciate hearing any thoughts on what it might be.
Buff Roo.jpg

Frostbite occurs from the tips of the comb, working downward. Usually the heat from the head keeps the comb at its base from freezing. So those lesions are not frostbite.

As with many health issues, we can make educated guesses and suggest a treatment, hoping we hit it right, but at least trying something that helps us rule things out. So, I suggest using a little athlete's foot cream on the strange lesions. Or vaginal yeast cream will also work. I have a hunch this is a fungus. If it is, the anti-fungal creams will clear it up in a week or so.

Looks like scabbing from picking. Likely the ladies are picking at and he's letting them.
Roosters do that sometimes.
When I've had that happen, I had to separate the rooster so the comb would heal up.

You can try BluKote to see if that helps, but likely it won't deter the ladies.

What do his legs look like, just curious.

That looks exactly what my BO rooster had/has. Weird scab with white dusty stuff around it. It initially showed up in the winter, then it would come and go like a chronic issue. For some reason it would pop up in the spring/summer after it's initial appearance. Eventually I came to the conclusion of favus (ringworm) or some other fungal infection. Spraying BluKote (an anti-fungal) on it helped quite a bit, but I still haven't gotten it knocked out all the way because of it's weird nature of going away and coming back. It's been confusing to treat it, and it isn't always consistent. Now it looks like white dust, no scab, but I think he still has it. I'm hoping to get it taken care of this summer once it gets warmer so there's no frostbite risk from wet stuff being on his comb. This is the first time I'm seeing anything similar to what my rooster has.

I attached some pictures of my rooster. It's worth noting that these images were taken months apart from eachother, pretty much pictures from every year, though this last year isn't included. I was new to chickens and didn't really quite know what to do, so that's why it took me so long to diagnose and start doing something about it. It also didn't help that it's just so... odd?

Attachments

• 20210321_004503.jpg
    20210321_004503.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200402_103956.jpg
    20200402_103956.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0402.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0402.JPG.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom