• Could be a hen 25%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its a Hen 0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hens of La Mesa

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2015
Im new to owning chickens. My kids school hatched 3 eggs and they needed someone to take them so we did. Wasnt sure we would like it but its been great so far. Its been about 4 months and one of my chickens look distinctly rooster like. This guy is definitely the alpha and has a comb and waddle much bigger than the rest. Also the tail feathers are much longer on this one.
He hasnt crowed yet but I think we may have to get rid of him if its a rooster. What do you guys think?

So do hens have tail feathers? See the Amercauna has a few long tail feathers. Not as long and curved as the rooster looking one but its there. One of my hens has no tail feather just a rounded bum.

It isn't just the tail feathers that indicate the first one is a cockerel. There is the larger, redder comb at this age, the darker pointy hackle and saddle feathers, and the darker color in the shoulder and wingbow. All those are male traits that pullets and hens don't have,

That makes sense, thanks!

I also don't even know what breed the 3 non amercauna chickens are. We got them from my sons school and they didnt even know. Are they Rhode Island?

That makes sense, thanks!

I also don't even know what breed the 3 non amercauna chickens are. We got them from my sons school and they didnt even know. Are they Rhode Island?
You don't actually have any Ameraucana. You have one Easter Egger (pullet), two Production Reds (one cockerel, one pullet), and one that looks like a mixed breed. The red and white looks like it has some suspicious male feathering on the back. A better shot of that one would help confirm male or female.

Back
Top Bottom