Rooster crowing middle of the night

beavis

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Hello,

Are there any strategies anyone can suggest to help stop my rooster from crowing off and on in the night?

2AM, 3AM, 4AM, there doesnt seem to be any pattern to his crowing....

As someone else put it on BYC, it's just the "Roosterness of the Rooster" LOL
lau.gif
If you find a cure, let me in on it cause mine are notorious for it
barnie.gif

How old is the roo? Sometimes younger Roos will crow at odd times. My little EE roo who is now 19 weeks old, crowed at 11 pm and 3 am...at about 15 weeks old. Prior to that age, from 9 weeks old - 15 weeks old, he was crowing off and on all day and night. I think he was getting his voice and learning. So my experience is that they settle down as they get older. Do you have a light on inside the coop? Basically they crow when they want to crow but they do sleep too.

At 5:40 am this morning, my little Roo and the BO Roo next door had their morning crow off, so he is getting the hang of it.

Last edited:
You can put a radio in your barn or enclosure. I did this about 4 months ago and noticed that the roos were particullary quiet. They do crow for the rest of the flock to come in and they crow in the morning to get out of the barn. Other than that i hardly ever here a peep from them. The guineas or the worst offenders, but they are not nearly as loud as the big roos I have.

My 2 yr old roo does it every day, doesn't matter if its dark or light out. He only does this in the winter tho. There is no way to stop it as far as i know but if you do find a miracle cure id like to know too LOL

He is less than a year old.

The coop has screened "windows" in it. I wonder if I made plywood shutters to close at night if that might settle him down a bit?

No there is no light on in the coop at night.

I read somewhere that you may be able to fool the rooster by leaving a light on in the coop until later in the evening. This somehow alters the roosters internal clock and makes them less likely to crow until morning.

I have had the same problem very recently. I have two that do it now, and they haven't stopped altogether, but slowed down. Mine crowed over and over and over. like 20-30 times at a time. It was terrible. As they have gotten older, they are slowing down. (they're about 5 months old) My problem is that we have an outside light on the house, street lamp bright, and that I think spurs him to crow at night.

Just a couple of days ago we saw a mama and baby bobcat tracks on the neighbors property, so that is probably also causing him to crow. All kinds of things cause them to crow and predators is one of them.

Bottom line being, he should slow down soon if you can stand it until then.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom