Rooster Daddies and Dual Broodies

DKrueger4

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 11, 2012
Michigan
Tell me about your experiences with dual broodies and roosters being true daddies! I was curious how to get two broody hens to sit on eggs together. Also, I want my rooster to be a father to my upcoming chicks! Thanks!

What breed of chickens do you have. Hopefully they are of a broody nature. Hens go broody when THEY want to. In my experience hens sharing a common nest has generally resulted in lower percentage hatch rates. The shuffling back and forth of eggs frequently results in chilled or broken eggs - moreso with large fowl than with bantams. Most flock roosters in my experience have been accepting of chicks.

I brought my head roo inside as he had a bit of a cold and it was well below freezing. He was starting to get upset when he (and us too) heard a peep from the bator! He sat down and got very quiet, and listened to the chicks hatching. I took them and showed them to him, until they went to the yard he would bring the girls by and set outside the door (it is open) (yes even in cold weather, toss another log on the fire!!) listening to the chicks. They went to the yard 2 weeks ago at they old age of 6 weeks. He has always welcomed new chicks to the flock. Another roo would inspect the chicks (I put 4 new pullets 4 months old in the flock) going to the back side and looking at their bums. Once his inspection was complete he start scratching and calling to them, here this is yummy and just for you,,,,

I have no broodies though, did have one hide a nest when she caught me in the act of taking "her" egg! She was not happy when I crawled up behind her (up under the house) and touched her and said "meow", she never went back to that nest and did go back to the hen house to lay! I think she would go broody if I left eggs for her.

I have some of the most broody standard breeds. I have, 5 Speckled Sussex hens, 2 Buff Orpington hens, 1 black and 1 blue Orpington hens, 2 New Hampshire hens, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte and a bunch of not very broody barred rocks.

I had 2 LF Cochin hens share a nest while brooding last summer. I gave them a dozen eggs each and left them to sit. The final chick count was 22 :eek: They raised those babies together and didn't loose a single one. They hatched early too. One would get up for a break and the other would take the eggs, then they'd switch. Their rooster would call the chicks over and feed them little tid bits he had found, let them peck his wattles and hop on his back. It was really cute.
I have Silkies now, and one of my hens has gone broody. Her roo will go in her brooding cage for a little while everyday and sit with her. Guess he doesn't want her to be lonely :love
Nikki

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom