1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster damage vs. pecking issues?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrs. Mucket, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Some of our hens that are in with a rooster have bare spots on their shoulders between the wings. I'm not sure if it's caused by the rooster grabbing or if the higher hens are pecking at them. How do you tell the difference? There aren't many bare spots above the tails. The bare areas have gotten larger--like 3-4 inches across--in the past month of winter weather when they are indoors more than out. Any thoughts? I've been putting on BlueKote and now have some very purple hens. Thinking about making some denim aprons for the poor girls.

2. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi Mrs. Mucket:

I wouldn't let this go any further. Whether it's the rooster or other hens, you potentiall
    have a problem on your hands.

It is possible for you to watch them for bit and see what is going on?

Can you seperate some of the chickens from one another. Being in close quarters
    isn't good for anyones disposition after a while.

Whatever you can do to put a stop to what is obviously pecking
    is important.

Good luck.

3. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I visit them 2-3 times a day and of course even when I spy covertly they are all angels LOL! And after applying BlueKote to the bare backs I never see any purple beaks.

Unfortunately I can't easily separate them during winter weather due to coop space. I'm putting aprons on some of the hens today and will keep spying.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My initial guess would be wear and tear from the rooster's feet and nails when he breeds the hens. Can you seperate him from the hens for a period of time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by