Rooster Dilemma

momiphouph

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
I am a new back yard chicken owner with lots of questions…

In March we bought or first batch of chicks (5 total) and about 2 weeks later got our second batch, my son won a colored Easter chick and so we bought 3 bantams to keep him company. We have yet to get the two flocks to mix. I recently had a big ahhh moment and figured out one possible major reason...3 of 5 in the first group are boys and 2 of 4 in the second are also boys. AAAhhh!!!
barnie.gif
So now we have 5 roo’s out of 9 chickens.
ep.gif

They all free range but the coop is divided so that they are separated at night.

This now leaves me with MANY questions on what to do with our feathered crew. Any ideas on how to go about re-homing our roos? And if I were to keep 1 roo how would I choose? Any characteristics I should look for?

Our 3 older boys are beginning to pick on our younger boy, the Buff Orpington, Tractor (kids pick the best names
love.gif
). Tractor has been found in some interesting places in order to get away from the bullies. Yet, if any of the other chickens pick on any of his bantams he will go after them and get hurt in the process. What is interesting to me is that he doesn’t defend himself… just the bantams. Is this normal? And our little sebright bantam literally cries if he is away from her. She will squawk like she is in pain until she finds him or he finds her (they are the same age). Has anyone had chickens behave this way? We do think its pretty funny but really wonder what would happen if we chose to get rid of Tractor. Not sure our sebright would handle that well... I dont think I would handle her crying all day either.

I am also wondering… what if I got rid of the 3 big boys is it possible the 2 hens would accept the others and become one flock? We are also talking about replacing those boys with hens… but I don’t want to have 3 separate flocks… that would do me in!
he.gif

I know I have a lot of “if’s” and “what if’s” in this post but if anyone can give me suggestions or information on how to help everyone just get along… that would really help me out. I just cant keep running to the back yard to rescue chickens from each other.

All the chickens are spoiled and given a lot of attention; none of them are mean to us… just each other and I know it isnt as bad as what it could be but I am expecting it to get worse as time goes. My family loves them all! Here are some pics…

Our first flock

June2009175-1.jpg

and the second flock...

June2009184.jpg

Tractor and his shadow...

June2009231.jpg

I have a male and female golden sebrights. They are the same way as yours. If the female is away from the male, the male gets VERY upset, and vice versa. As soon as they are back together, they are fine. Our other two bantams don't do this. Just the sebrights.

Bluemoon

well now personally speaking and I'm new to chickens. I would pick roo I like and get rid of the rest. Wait till night time and intetgrate the hens or at least leave an opening between the two groups. Just make sure none of them are wearing the same outfit or shoes. Cause if they are you'll definitely hear alot of squuaaaaking.

I have a male and female golden sebrights. They are the same way as yours. If the female is away from the male, the male gets VERY upset, and vice versa. As soon as they are back together, they are fine.

That is funny! Maybe its a sebright thing? He doesnt seem to mind if she is away as long as she is safe but she wants to know where he is at all times!!! hahaha! I had read that sebrights are difficult to own... do you agree? This is the only "issue" we have had if you can call it an issue, we just laugh at her needy little self. lol​

I don't think they are difficult to own at all. I just noticed that the male and female tend to stick to themselves, and if any of the other chickens mess with the female. There will be hell to pay LOL. He doesn't bother with any of the other females either. Just her.

Bluemoon

Just make sure none of them are wearing the same outfit or shoes.

LOL I will definatly make sure that is not an issue! hahaha! Man just like my kids! tehe! Its hard to pick the one we like the best... the kids are attached to all... no matter what we do it will be tough... but I do think they will attach to new chicks just as fast! Sure would be nice if we could find a home for them that gives visitation rights... LOL​

Any suggestions on how to go about re-homing a roo
fl.gif
and how to go about picking a roo to keep? Any thoughts are very much appreciated!
Thanks all!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom