Rooster disturbing the peace complaint

razoo

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
How do you suggest we handle a rooster complaint?

My 11yo daughter hatched chicks, raised them and they are now outside in a coop. We gave three roosters away, and are left with 4 hens and one roo. They are barnyard mix.
According to our county laws, we are allowed chickens.

County laws state that lots under 40,000sf cannot have a rooster, and lots over that may have 32 chickens per acre, with nothing specified about roos. We could, theoretically, have over 100 chickens on our 3.5 acres.

We have only one neighbor, who loves chickens, plans to get some themself and has no complaints.
They have only one neighbor on the other side who has commented on the roo, but no complaints.
They have a neighbor who has lodged a complaint. He has fought with my husband on another issue regrading their dog, took us to court over it, lost, fined and got a sever reprimand from the judge. The county clerk said to me to fight the complaint as it is clearly vengeance.

I am very hesitant about another court hearing.
My daughter loves Lord Aster, yes they are all named, and wants to keep him.

His complaint is we are disturbing the peace.
This will either end up with us paying a fine and getting rid of Lord Aster, or in District Court.
Any suggestions on how to defend this apart from
1. the fact we legally may own up to 100 chickens
2. the distance from our coop to his house is doubtful that the rooster is a disturbance, he can possibly hear the rooster when he is outside, but not in his house.
I appreciate any advice you have for us

There is a Local chicken laws and ordinance forum, you might get an answer over there.

If you are allowed the chickens than you are in the right. It just depends if it's worth fighting for your right or not to you. I can't imagine how a rooster disturbs your neighbors peace, and why he thinks it's only him that should be happy. Good luck in whatever you decide.

problem with the neighbors..

when it started.. it will last for years

just hope it will not escalate to the point of no return

if you are sure of the laws in your area.. then you don't have worry about it

if they are suing you for no valid reason.. i think you can ask for compensation for lost wages no? stack on any child care cost, etc..

People can have a dog that barks all day, a booming car stereo, a motorcycles well over 100db or heck even weed eating for 2hrs is WAY more noise than any group of roosters can create, I have 20 roosters, I know.

It's time to fight these ridiculous ordinances and get them off the books! They defy common sense.

if there's a noise ordinance in your area

then it doesn't matter what type of anime it is-- if 2-3 neighbors complained --

repeated offenses-- you have to get rid of the animals soon or later.. dogs or other pets it doesn't matter

there's also a smell ordinance..

Back
Top Bottom