Rooster doesn't dust bathe

mj0

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
SE Ohio
I have a rooster who is currently infested with mites. I have used the elector PSP, and am giving him vitamins because he currently isn't able to stand or walk. He doesn't dust bathe....ever. what do I need to do to him or for him to prevent this from happening again? He's eating and drinking like normal.

Are the mites gone since you treated with the Elector PSP?

If not, use Permethrin Poultry Dust. Put the dust in a sock, then tap the sock all over him like a powder puff, this will give you a fine layer of dust to work down through the feathers to the skin. Dust him all over.

Mites will suck the life out of a chicken, if he's unable to stand or walk, he's in terrible shape and is not able to take a dust bath.

IF the cause of his inability to walk a or stand is cause by mites only, do whatever is needed to eliminate the mites. Work on getting him drinking, feed him an 18-22% protein chick starter or all flock feed, give some beef liver a couple of times a week or some egg. It would be a good idea to also get some poultry vitamins into him.

Photos of the rooster and housing may be helpful. Mites also live in housing, so that needs to be treated too.

I have a rooster who is currently infested with mites. I have used the elector PSP, and am giving him vitamins because he currently isn't able to stand or walk. He doesn't dust bathe....ever. what do I need to do to him or for him to prevent this from happening again? He's eating and drinking like normal.

Are the mites gone since you treated with the Elector PSP?

If not, use Permethrin Poultry Dust. Put the dust in a sock, then tap the sock all over him like a powder puff, this will give you a fine layer of dust to work down through the feathers to the skin. Dust him all over.

Mites will suck the life out of a chicken, if he's unable to stand or walk, he's in terrible shape and is not able to take a dust bath.

IF the cause of his inability to walk a or stand is cause by mites only, do whatever is needed to eliminate the mites. Work on getting him drinking, feed him an 18-22% protein chick starter or all flock feed, give some beef liver a couple of times a week or some egg. It would be a good idea to also get some poultry vitamins into him.

Photos of the rooster and housing may be helpful. Mites also live in housing, so that needs to be treated too.
Unfortunately he did not make it. He passed today ☹️. He was the best rooster. I don't see the bugs on any of the other chickens. In my original post I meant he never has dust bathed....not just a recent thing. I gave him the vitamins by rooster booster for 2 nights, he was eating and drinking like normal. He hasn't been "normal" since he had a respiratory infection a couple months ago. I just assumed it was old age he is between 4 and 5....I took him in for a friend of mine last year. So sad I couldn't keep him alive 😭

Unfortunately he did not make it. He passed today ☹️. He was the best rooster. I don't see the bugs on any of the other chickens. In my original post I meant he never has dust bathed....not just a recent thing. I gave him the vitamins by rooster booster for 2 nights, he was eating and drinking like normal. He hasn't been "normal" since he had a respiratory infection a couple months ago. I just assumed it was old age he is between 4 and 5....I took him in for a friend of mine last year. So sad I couldn't keep him alive 😭
I'm very sorry to hear about your rooster:hugs

Thank you. Is there a particular brand of poultry dust you recommend? Do you have to withdraw eggs when used? I'd just like to get some to have on hand. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I get Permethrin based Poultry Dust and Permethrin 10 concentrate at TSC.

I use the dust on the chickens because for me it's easier to apply that way. I mix up the concentrate according to the directions on the bottle and treat/spray my coop/housing including nesting boxes and roosting bars.

I rarely dust my birds since I don't have an external parasite problem. I have had broody hens get mites and the dust works well, but you still need to treat whatever housing/nesting areas they are using.

I DO spray/treat my coop/housing about 4 times a year (Quarterly).

Back
Top Bottom