Rooster dominance

littletonlee

Chirping
Feb 28, 2017
I have a mixed flock of welsummers barred rocks black australorps Easter eggers polish and brown leghorns. I have a polish rooster and welsummer rooster all chickens are same age 12 weeks. The polish has started crowing but not the welsummer. I will only use the polish to breed my other polish but welsummer will be my primary breeder eventually. Do polish roosters tend to be very dominant or will he likely bow down to the welsummer once he matures? I’ve already got separate pens for my silkies but didn’t want to separate the polish only at breeding times when I will be hatching. Any experience with these breed of roosters?

The answer is; it depends! It depends on the individuals involved, and right now you have a group of cockerels and pullets, all pre-adolescent. Your Wellie will be bigger, but he's maturing a bit slower than the Polish, and it's not about size so much as personality anyway.
Because your Polish are being raised with the standard birds, they will tend to all be 'family', and may not sort themselves out as you would wish. Also, Polish can get picked on by other birds, as they can't see all that well through their topknots.
Not so helpful, sorry.
Mary

The answer is; it depends! It depends on the individuals involved, and right now you have a group of cockerels and pullets, all pre-adolescent. Your Wellie will be bigger, but he's maturing a bit slower than the Polish, and it's not about size so much as personality anyway.
Because your Polish are being raised with the standard birds, they will tend to all be 'family', and may not sort themselves out as you would wish. Also, Polish can get picked on by other birds, as they can't see all that well through their topknots.
Not so helpful, sorry.
Mary
It’s ok. Someone is picking on the polish rooster. His topknot feathers are missing in the center. But no one is bothering any of the other polish. Are they singling him out because he is a rooster or his personality?

Back
Top Bottom