Rooster favors 2 hens for mating

Floozie

Hatching
Jun 12, 2020
Last fall I lost the majority of my flock to a fisher, leaving me with 4 hens and a rooster. Knowing this ratio is problematic, I’m currently raising up a few chicks to balance things out, but they are several weeks away from joining their big sisters. Now that it’s spring, my lovely and friendly rooster is mating my hens more than they appreciate. The bigger problem is that he only mates two of them and leaves the other two completely alone. Needless to say, the mated two are bald and stressed. I thought bringing the flock number up would help, but if he continues to ignore all but two hens I have a serious problem. I know it’s a long shot, but are there any ways to get him to spread the love around? This is such a good rooster, and we’ve had him for 3 years, I’d really hate to part with him. Thanks!

Last fall I lost the majority of my flock to a fisher, leaving me with 4 hens and a rooster. Knowing this ratio is problematic, I’m currently raising up a few chicks to balance things out, but they are several weeks away from joining their big sisters. Now that it’s spring, my lovely and friendly rooster is mating my hens more than they appreciate. The bigger problem is that he only mates two of them and leaves the other two completely alone. Needless to say, the mated two are bald and stressed. I thought bringing the flock number up would help, but if he continues to ignore all but two hens I have a serious problem. I know it’s a long shot, but are there any ways to get him to spread the love around? This is such a good rooster, and we’ve had him for 3 years, I’d really hate to part with him. Thanks!
I am not sure what to suggest. My roo has TEN ladies and only chooses his hen who is the only hen of the same breed as him. Once in a great blue moon I'll find an egg of a different hen with a bullseye, but there are at least four hens that I've never, ever had a bullseye on.

Back
Top Bottom