Rooster fight left “dad” in bad shape

mrsp523

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Western Mass
Hello backyard chicken peeps. We had a cock fight. Son of our welsummer roo decided after a year of them co- living with 24 hens he wanted to be the only king of the pen. We choose him because our welsummer is very large but docile, the son- who we just named Stew is a cross of dad and barred. Anyhow. We pulled dad out after realizing he was beat up pretty good, one eye swelled shut, limping, bloody, but can’t see large open wounds. Poor guy was tucked up in a section of coop with some of the girls standing pried next to him. We have a double coop and Stew was on other side of double coop. He is in an extra large crate in our basement for recovery. We put a hen in with him for a companion. Would you all have done this. Any suggestions on helping him recovery? He’s eating and drinking. Put some power- aid in with water, pellets, and scrambled some eggs which he gobbled up. We want to be able to return him to coop as soon as he appears well enough - hopefully only a few days. His son Stew will be removed before his return. We decided we want to keep dad, as he’s been a good rooster to hens, and protects well, with a bonus of getting along with us. Any suggests I would appreciate. Sorry for such a long post.

When you return him make sure he's 90% healed and that no other chickens will be pecking at his wounds.
Yes thank you. We have bluecote spray that we will put on him in the morning as he has some blood spots. Also added questions. Where there is no natural light in the basement would it make sense to turn light off periodically during day to force some rest ( in stead of off night on day) or might this Confuse them and cause unneeded stress?

I would keep the light on for a few hours at a time at least.

So just to make sure i get this right, you are keeping the dad and permanently removing the son from the flock?

I would keep the light on for a few hours at a time at least.

So just to make sure i get this right, you are keeping the dad and permanently removing the son from the flock?
Yes I’m thinking this method with light might be best. Thanks for your reply. He is limping and don’t want him to overwork the leg. And yes I’m keeping Dad- the beat up one- if he pulls through. He has shown to be a great rooster, protects well and although he is a bit older, he is mature and behaves. His son will be removed. His eye opened up a bit. When I have a helper come home I will attempt to flush his eyes out.

Okay. So long as he doesn't wind up getting an infection or giving up, he should be okay. He doesn't have fresh blood in his beak or nostrils, right?

Keeping him with a more gentle hen would be my recommendation. Ive notoced birds twnd to do vetter over all if they have a healthy companion they can interact with

Okay. So long as he doesn't wind up getting an infection or giving up, he should be okay. He doesn't have fresh blood in his beak or nostrils, right?

Keeping him with a more gentle hen would be my recommendation. Ive notoced birds twnd to do vetter over all if they have a healthy companion they can interact with
No blood from beak or nostrils. Looked like blood was coming from foot, but that clotted up. Yes I have him with one of my quieter hens- told her she has a job to do lol. That was our thought - not to leave him alone in a cage as it might cause more stress. His beak possibly sounds like it’s clicking- but it doesn’t look out of alignment- so I may be just over thinking it as he will eat- just does better when I hand feed cause his eyes are off. But also eats “sloppy” on his own. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom