Rooster fighting chicken!! Help!

I've had roosters fight to the death. And it's usually the rooster that I really wanted to keep who gets killed. If I were you Pancake would be gone. At my place an aggressive rooster ends up in the freezer. Why wish an aggressive rooster on someone else.
I think Fern/Fernando would be a much easier chicken to keep, no matter which sex it is.

Hopefully someone like @oldhenlikesdogs or @junebuggena can help with the sex of Fern.

I agree, great photos - the one I placed a red arrow in - it does look like Pancake is mounting Fern - but that does not always mean that Fern is a girl. Mounting can be about dominance as well. Fern's injuries, look consistent with brutal mounting as well - the skin wounded behind the neck, it not good that he is leaving that kind of damage, not to mention a puncture wound in the back(?) I'm sure you are treating the wound, but I'm usually on the ER forums, so just have to mention - flush the wounds and apply Vetericyn or a triple antibiotic ointment. Just keep a watch for signs of infection. While you're doing that - look Fern over for any other cuts/wounds that may be hidden under the fluff.

Keeping them separated is best, imho, since they are fighting. I'm sorry to hear you may need to re-home him, but sometimes that's the best solution.

The second photo - I just had to repost that one - it's fantastic, looks like Fern is not backing down much and it's just a bit comical to see that black ball of fluff in the air:lol:

upload_2017-12-23_14-9-29.png

upload_2017-12-23_14-9-52.png

Hopefully someone like @oldhenlikesdogs or @junebuggena can help with the sex of Fern.

I agree, great photos - the one I placed a red arrow in - it does look like Pancake is mounting Fern - but that does not always mean that Fern is a girl. Mounting can be about dominance as well. Fern's injuries, look consistent with brutal mounting as well - the skin wounded behind the neck, it not good that he is leaving that kind of damage, not to mention a puncture wound in the back(?) I'm sure you are treating the wound, but I'm usually on the ER forums, so just have to mention - flush the wounds and apply Vetericyn or a triple antibiotic ointment. Just keep a watch for signs of infection. While you're doing that - look Fern over for any other cuts/wounds that may be hidden under the fluff.

Keeping them separated is best, imho, since they are fighting. I'm sorry to hear you may need to re-home him, but sometimes that's the best solution.

The second photo - I just had to repost that one - it's fantastic, looks like Fern is not backing down much and it's just a bit comical to see that black ball of fluff in the air:lol:

View attachment 1216378

View attachment 1216379

I brought Fern into the house after that attack and gave a nice bath, used the blow dryer on him/her and cleaned the wounds. They are all healed now. That happened last week and they healed nicely.

Pancake hasn't drew blood since but seems to be putting Fern in his her place all the time. Today he jumped on Ferns back....pecked the head and jumped right back off. He didn't seem to be mounting bc he never "connected" He mounts and mates with Ferns sister Daphne all day so I know what that looks like. Daphne let's him though. She's also been laying eggs for a couple weeks now. I'm going to upload the video to YouTube so you can all see it! I had to cut it short at the end bc I needed to intervene and push Pancake away.

LOL still not sure about Fern. I have a hard time with gender - much less even thinking about Silkies. There is one instance there where it looks like Fern is trying to get on top of Pancake (dominate).

It's not unheard of for pullets and hens to standoff a cockerel/rooster, but for me, I have a hard time seeing a Silkie female doing that. I don't own Silkies, so maybe that are more fierce than I realize:confused:

I think Fern is a female due to her body shape. At 7 months old there are usually a few tell-tale signs that they are a rooster, although Silkies are notorious for keeping you guessing.

I've had this happen a few times between males and female Silkies in my flock. It is likely that Fern is very dominant and is letting the rooster know her opinions. I would separate them if it gets any worse, but usually, they just have to work out their differences.

I think Fern is a female due to her body shape. At 7 months old there are usually a few tell-tale signs that they are a rooster, although Silkies are notorious for keeping you guessing.

I've had this happen a few times between males and female Silkies in my flock. It is likely that Fern is very dominant and is letting the rooster know her opinions. I would separate them if it gets any worse, but usually, they just have to work out their differences.

If she is female, then I love how she stands up for herself! She does look exactly like my other female silkie....(they were hatched together) but I too was confused with her fighting back. Didn't think that was typical for a female.

I'll have to watch more closely but he or she seems to stand his/her ground. After an attack like this or after feeling threatened Fern has been hiding behind the coop and isolating herself from the flock. She's definitely intimidated by him but I haven't noticed her squatting in submission.

Thank you for your response! Hmm if I do have a Fernando then my ratio is probably causing an issue. 2 hens and 2 roosters probably isn't a good scenario. What would you suggest I do? Fern"ando" is a sweetheart...Pancake...not so much. Would you recommend rehoming Pancake or adding more hens to the flock? I just don't want Fern to end up getting hurt. I feel terrible that he/she keeps isolating herself in fear.
There should be a 1/10 ratio for roosters to hens, ALWAYS, if not then the hens get stressed and nervous.

Back
Top Bottom