Pics
I've kind of got a similar situation here. One of my roos was getting way too overprotective of his girls (and the chicks in the brooding pen), and bit me 2 too many times. He's now in a time out. I'm hoping that he'll have to re-establish himself within the flock after a few weeks, and his aggression will subside. Either that, or he'll stay in the time out until I get the bachelor pad up and running.
Is your rooster acting like he’s upset too? I knew he wouldn’t be happy, but I thought he would adjust quicker. I wouldn’t worry so much if he was eating better. I do ultimately hope to put him back with the hens too.

DO NOT get another rooster.
They’ll beat the snot out of each other.
Roosters do better with other males if they were raised together.
Can you get more females?
Especially adult hens that are already laying.
Each male should have about 10 hens so they don’t get overmated.
Do you have room for 5 more girls?
Yes I could add more hens, which seriously considering. Not sure if I could find more hens of laying age, but I know TSC will be having chick days in the next few weeks. He would be able to “spread himself around” so each hen wouldn’t be bothered as much, but I worry I would then have 10 hens with bare backs and wings. This high testosterone time is tough!

I was only considering more roosters if he’s perminantly removed from the flock, so he wouldn’t live alone. I wouldn’t inflict more roosters on my hens! Ultimately though I would love to have him back with the flock, he keeps order and is a great guardian.

It sounds like normal behavior.Chasing the hens and breeding them is quite normal.Rooster buddies will make things worse,depending on the age,it can be almost impossible to intergrate another rooster.You pretty much have to let them work through that stage,how old are all the birds?
They all turned 1 in April. They were raised together, I got them when they were a few days old.

I know he’s being a normal roo, it’s just that the poor hens need a break and to regrow feathers (some are molting, yay!), one hen already got a laceration on her side from his claws- even tho I do trim them.

Does mating at least decrease in the fall and winter? He’s a great guardian and otherwise good to the girls. Once he grows up more I think he will be great.

Sometimes it doesn’t matter how many hens you have,roosters will selectively pick hens to breed with more frequently then the rest,I consider those pairs.Ten to one is a good ratio,roosters are more hormonal in the mornings and late afternoons.Maybe when you lock them up,keep him out in the late afternoons,that’s what I do in spring to help the girls a bit.Are any of your birds bare yet?Barr back bothers the owners more then the hens usually,don’t worry about that stuff unless it’s clear the mating is too much and/or bird are getting injured.

Boys are not fully mature usually till their second year,he may or may not grow out of it.Yes,breeding calms down during winter and fall months.
They all turned 1 in April. They were raised together, I got them when they were a few days old.

I know he’s being a normal roo, it’s just that the poor hens need a break and to regrow feathers (some are molting, yay!), one hen already got a laceration on her side from his claws- even tho I do trim them.

Does mating at least decrease in the fall and winter? He’s a great guardian and otherwise good to the girls. Once he grows up more I think he will be great.

Is your rooster acting like he’s upset too? I knew he wouldn’t be happy, but I thought he would adjust quicker. I wouldn’t worry so much if he was eating better. I do ultimately hope to put him back with the hens too.
He's sulking for sure. Once I know that he knows where his new home is I'll let him free range a bit. That might help him lighten his mood a bit.

BE8C3771-9C7C-4160-9584-8583A5C9CFDB.jpeg
1C606072-0B12-4764-8DB3-103BE144ECD7.jpeg
Sometimes it doesn’t matter how many hens you have,roosters will selectively pick hens to breed with more frequently then the rest,I consider those pairs.Ten to one is a good ratio,roosters are more hormonal in the mornings and late afternoons.Maybe when you lock them up,keep him out in the late afternoons,that’s what I do in spring to help the girls a bit.Are any of your birds bare yet?Barr back bothers the owners more then the hens usually,don’t worry about that stuff unless it’s clear the mating is too much and/or bird are getting injured.
Yes bare backs and bruised/ bare elbows. The buff Orpington had a laceration from him mating her, had to go to the vet for antibiotics. I didn’t find out about hen saddles until the damage was already done. It’s hot so that’s why I took the saddles off and separated him. Glad to know he will (hopefully!!!!) calm down a bit in the fall.

@leighks: Wow! I've seen supermarket chickens with more feathers on their backs than those! Your hens will be happy to be getting a break :)

Your rooster will adapt. Sounds like his behaviour has already improved significantly. He definitely needs the timeout for a while, at least until it's cool enough for you to put the saddles back on the girls.

View attachment 1479775 View attachment 1479776
Yes bare backs and bruised/ bare elbows. The buff Orpington had a laceration from him mating her, had to go to the vet for antibiotics. I didn’t find out about hen saddles until the damage was already done. It’s hot so that’s why I took the saddles off and separated him. Glad to know he will (hopefully!!!!) calm down a bit in the fall.
My buckeye hens used to look like that. That actually inspired me to get a roo. My ex battery leghorns were picking the crap out of the poor girls. Mr. Roo stopped that pretty darn quick.

Back
Top Bottom