Woohoo! Rooster Flock Thread update :)

I know this thread hasn't been active in a while, but I might start a rooster flock. I'm hatching OEGBs, and have 5 developing. If all or most of them are boys then I will. I am hoping for at least one pullet though.

Are they from your own eggs? As in, do you have a rooster with the rest of the flock already? If so, it's always good to keep a rooster flock anyway with some "spare" roosters in case your main one carks it.

Otherwise, good luck and have fun!

I still have 3 of my 4 main rooster flock roos. I have 1 bantam hen who goes to visit them from time to time. She's about 1/6th their size and escapes any enclosure I have her in. They're all very well behaved when she visits.

I've hatched so many more roosters over the past couple of years but was unable to create new rooster flocks each time. Most have gone to the local zoo to feed their carnivores, but I've managed to rehome a couple to friends who have upgraded and uplifted their lives to acreages during the pandemic. I'm thinking about creating a bantam rooster flock after next seasons hatch with D'Uccle's, D'Anvers, Pekin's, and Sebrights -- all nice small breeds.

Woohoo! Rooster Flock Thread update :)

Are they from your own eggs? As in, do you have a rooster with the rest of the flock already? If so, it's always good to keep a rooster flock anyway with some "spare" roosters in case your main one carks it.

Otherwise, good luck and have fun!

I still have 3 of my 4 main rooster flock roos. I have 1 bantam hen who goes to visit them from time to time. She's about 1/6th their size and escapes any enclosure I have her in. They're all very well behaved when she visits.

I've hatched so many more roosters over the past couple of years but was unable to create new rooster flocks each time. Most have gone to the local zoo to feed their carnivores, but I've managed to rehome a couple to friends who have upgraded and uplifted their lives to acreages during the pandemic. I'm thinking about creating a bantam rooster flock after next seasons hatch with D'Uccle's, D'Anvers, Pekin's, and Sebrights -- all nice small breeds.
They aren't, I ordered them.

I want Sebrights and D'Uccles too!

I know this thread hasn't been active in a while, but I might start a rooster flock. I'm hatching OEGBs, and have 5 developing. If all or most of them are boys then I will. I am hoping for at least one pullet though.
My bachelor flock is down to five at the moment, with no fellas in with the ladies. I actually pulled one rooster from the main coop so I could reacquaint him with his buddies. Since I plan to put three back in with the girls, I figure that's the safest way to get him to share. The bonus, at least in my kids' eyes, is that, since it's been at least three weeks since I pulled him, it keeps me from adding more eggs to the incubator ... at least for now!

My bachelor flock is down to five at the moment, with no fellas in with the ladies. I actually pulled one rooster from the main coop so I could reacquaint him with his buddies. Since I plan to put three back in with the girls, I figure that's the safest way to get him to share. The bonus, at least in my kids' eyes, is that, since it's been at least three weeks since I pulled him, it keeps me from adding more eggs to the incubator ... at least for now!
Be careful if you plan to take three roosters out of a flock of five- bachelor flocks of two have a harder time working out the pecking order. It does depend on the roosters’ personalities, of course.

Be careful if you plan to take three roosters out of a flock of five- bachelor flocks of two have a harder time working out the pecking order. It does depend on the roosters’ personalities, of course.
It shouldn't be an issue (famous last words, I know!) Since I knew this coop revamp was finally going to happen, I split four of The Boys into two pairs over a month ago. They are currently on either side of a wire divider, separated by breed. The fifth roo has been in isolation with a single hen as a deliberately paired breeding. I plan to add the roo/hen pair and the roo/roo pair into the main coop at the same time I take the barriers down to combine the two runs into one large area, they should be okay.
The single rooster was in the main coop most recently, so he'll be going back into familiar territory. Having been gone so long, he'll have to work out Harem Master status with the other two, who already have a pecking order. I'm sure there will be some serious feather ruffling and some order/reorder posturing, but I'm not expecting mass bloodshed or a territorial war. Either way, though, I'll be nearby and prepared!

EDIT TO ADD:
Oh, and the two oddfellows are young (close to a year) EE boys - one very small and one mid-sized bantam. Both are looking for new homes in or near Maryland ... just in case anyone is iinterested ...

It shouldn't be an issue (famous last words, I know!) Since I knew this coop revamp was finally going to happen, I split four of The Boys into two pairs over a month ago. They are currently on either side of a wire divider, separated by breed. The fifth roo has been in isolation with a single hen as a deliberately paired breeding. I plan to add the roo/hen pair and the roo/roo pair into the main coop at the same time I take the barriers down to combine the two runs into one large area, they should be okay.
The single rooster was in the main coop most recently, so he'll be going back into familiar territory. Having been gone so long, he'll have to work out Harem Master status with the other two, who already have a pecking order. I'm sure there will be some serious feather ruffling and some order/reorder posturing, but I'm not expecting mass bloodshed or a territorial war. Either way, though, I'll be nearby and prepared!

EDIT TO ADD:
Oh, and the two oddfellows are young (close to a year) EE boys - one very small and one mid-sized bantam. Both are looking for new homes in or near Maryland ... just in case anyone is iinterested ...
It sounds like you’ll be fine. I’ve had success with pairs of roosters, but that has unfortunately not always been the case for others.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom