Rooster Flocks!

Usually if I have a roo with the girls, he could care less who is on the other side of the fence as far as fence fighting goes. He just goes where the girls go and stands watch. Curious to see if it is different for you.

Roosters are territorial.. so the boy who challenges me knows he isn't allowed in my space and waits for me to leave to try and take over my part of the yard. But when he sees me coming he heads away. They are very keen. He stands and stares when I'm not looking and when he sees me look at him he immediately starts doing busy work! :p

I would disagree that cockerels get their tail feathers last. I would say most often they come in at exactly the same rate. However on occassion, I get one that has no tail growth... that's ALWAYS been a boy so far. And this most recent batch is actually 1 with a speckeled sussex boy that had the slow tail, which did NOT lie. Funny that it's the same breed. Mine came from the feed store as sexed pullets.

How old are your chicks now? In my breeders, the slow tail is a trait I cull for... although it is kind of a convenient tool! Some breeders may actually select for the slow tail. :confused:

I hope I will be able to follow your updates... haven't gotten the new format down completely yet. And flock dynamics are so fluid it's an ever learning hobby. My current flock is 60+ including all genders and ages. So far my personal hatching is not even close to 50/50 boys/girls. More like 85% boys in my Swedish Flowers! :barnie

Hope my Marans hatch out more girls than that. :fl

Also, even if you aren't able... there is no shame in letting them feed someone else's family. I'm a 40ish year old lady and my daughter just turned 18. While we don't enjoy processing the boys, we do accept that if we are eating chicken it will be raised AND processed humanely. We knew we would have to do something if we were going to hatch unsexed chicks (never mind the mistaken genders from the feed store, which I've had at least 5). Our boys are not panicked and fearing for their lives but calm and quiet. And we are honored to know where our food came from. It is a difficult transition and we worked towards it for a long time openly discussing how it would go and our fears and such. I am a bit emotional and love animals. Didn't think I could be successful. Worried about my daughter who has always been sensitive. Surprised neither one of us had an emotional breakdown! Please don't take it as I think you should do what I do... I am just sharing. :) My hubby who avidly shoots does not participate in the culling. But he was elated to smell actual chicken cooking in the house how he remembered from his childhood.. since we do heritage breed birds and not cornish cross (which is every super market bird and even a lot of the ones from the farmer's market), the difference is tremendous in flavor between a bird that grows 6 months instead of 8 weeks. Again, I don't mean to make you uncomfortable... Just maybe encourage you to "enjoy" the fruits of your labor! :drool

I respect the decicion of those who cannot, as well! We are all individuals. :hugs

Good luck, having more turn out to be pullets than you think! :fl :D

Mine are all adult. I have about 14 babies that hatched around Easter but I don't know how many are male yet. When I find out, I will try to put them with the others, as you suggested, when they are about 3 months old and see how that works. with my luck, I am sure I will have plenty of males! My new avatar is one of my roos.

Talk about luck, I hatch 85% male! :he

3 months or just slightly younger has been a good age for me to integrate cockerels in with roosters. :fl

I have 3 roosters with lots of hens, and they all get along great. They free range all day and the roosters are fantastic guards/protectors. And real gentlemen, except when it comes to sex. At one point I had those 3 roosters together with only one hen, and zero problems. I actually enjoy them more than the hens. In fact I got as many hens as I got so that they would be happy.

I have 3 roosters with lots of hens, and they all get along great. They free range all day and the roosters are fantastic guards/protectors. And real gentlemen, except when it comes to sex. At one point I had those 3 roosters together with only one hen, and zero problems. I actually enjoy them more than the hens. In fact I got as many hens as I got so that they would be happy.

I forgot to ask... Why keep a separate roo flock?

Everytime you hatch or buy straight run chicks you have a chance of getting Roos, so you might end up getting too many Roos for your hens to handle..... I have 9 hens and 7 Roos, so if I kept them all together the poor hens would get defeathered by all the Roos.

When I had 3 roosters and one hen (straight run issue you mentioned) it was interesting that she never had a problem. None of the roosters would let the others have her. If one mounted the others would come running to knock him off. It was pretty funny.

Oh OK. Do you keep your extra roos for backup, or because you're a softy like me? I really love my roosters.

I love my Roos! I keep them because they are MY pets, and if I gave them away I wouldn't be sure if they went to a good home... also there's so much unwanted roosters out there that need a home.... lol I am a softy. :p

Do yours do all of the amazing talking with each other? I can't get over how many unique vocalizations they make for different events. One of my favorites is when a hen shakes from a dust bath and a cloud of dust erupts (I actually thought I had fires before I realized what was going on; looked like smoke). The roos make this sound like, "what in the world?!" Another is when two hens occasionally get into a chest bumping fight. The roos have this sort of concerned tone in their voice.

Back
Top Bottom