Rooster Flocks!

MasAhora

Songster
Nov 20, 2016
Paraguay
I am interested in learning more, my 2 cockerels are so far submissive to an older cockerel...I'm not sure I want to cull them just yet (I want a back up rooster next spring -I'm going into winter - so far no temperament issues with either). They're with 14 hens/pullets, several acres to roam and the older dominant cockerel only ever sleeps outside the coop with his devoted pullet 'Goldfish'. He won the fight with his hatch mate cockerel a couple of months ago, who then died from blood loss (we did not realize that where the injury was located would result in death- he seemed fine and the blood was drying up after we separated them:() however since that incident there has been no aggression.

Also I am not that experienced with culling to eat, so I really prefer to do 4-6 at a time; too hard taking one out, toooooo personal if ya know what I mean?!

PS I finally figured out how to make those emoticons disappear...writing with that lot jumping around was weird.

CuzChickens

CountryChick
Apr 24, 2016
Virginia
I have friend who has a rooster flock of about 24 roosters, 11 of them previously mine, they get along pretty well, and I have 1 cockeral with a vitamin deficiency that is a big brother to little chicks, when he was three weeks old, I put him in with 128 day olds, and it took him a bit, but he settled down, now he is twelve weeks old and is in my grow out pen with 17 5 week olds, and getting along famously with them.

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
When I had 3 roosters and one hen (straight run issue you mentioned) it was interesting that she never had a problem. None of the roosters would let the others have her. If one mounted the others would come running to knock him off. It was pretty funny.
When I had too many boys... ya, they come running to knock eachother off and hold the girls down while they took turns! :mad::drool

ETA: There was NOTHING funny about it. :he

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
I cannot seem to get my roosters to do "Buddy,Buddy".I had 4 cockerels who pretty much did their own thing because they grew up together.The oldest one eventually banished my current cockerel,but luckily we downsized soon.

aldarita

Songster
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Brenham TX
My chicks are only 3 weeks old, they were hatched by my number one broody, she's been doing such a great job from the beginning. The difference in feathering is so distinct that I may venture to say 3 will be pullets and 4 will be cockerels (I hope I'm wrong and it's the other way around). So I'm preparing my "rooster yard" for when the day comes and I have to do some moving around. I don't like to keep cockerels with the pullets and hens unless they behave but for what I have read, they rarely do. I might get lucky and have good roosters

catsnchickslady

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2016
Somerset, TX
When I had too many boys... ya, they come running to knock eachother off and hold the girls down while they took turns! :mad::drool

ETA: There was NOTHING funny about it. :he
The first chicks I had were from a fiend 2 turned out to be male and 2 female. They did fine for a long time them all of a sudden (after they got spurs) the both jumped on my hen called Cookie while she was in her nesting container and tore out a ton of feathers and had cut her up. Had to take her out of that pen. She healed up finally but I took Busy out too because I was afraid they would d o the same to her. Now the two roosters are together with no hens and they never fight and they are nice to me. I wasnt happy at all about poor Cookie tho.

RoostersAreAwesome

Free Ranging
May 21, 2017
My chicks are only 3 weeks old, they were hatched by my number one broody, she's been doing such a great job from the beginning. The difference in feathering is so distinct that I may venture to say 3 will be pullets and 4 will be cockerels (I hope I'm wrong and it's the other way around). So I'm preparing my "rooster yard" for when the day comes and I have to do some moving around. I don't like to keep cockerels with the pullets and hens unless they behave but for what I have read, they rarely do. I might get lucky and have good roosters
All of my roos are great with their hens... The hens might get over-mated if there are too many roosters to hens, but other than that, most roos are pretty good to their hens.

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
The first chicks I had were from a fiend 2 turned out to be male and 2 female. They did fine for a long time them all of a sudden (after they got spurs) the both jumped on my hen called Cookie while she was in her nesting container and tore out a ton of feathers and had cut her up. Had to take her out of that pen. She healed up finally but I took Busy out too because I was afraid they would d o the same to her. Now the two roosters are together with no hens and they never fight and they are nice to me. I wasnt happy at all about poor Cookie tho.
Wow, spurs don't come until after 1 year old. Boys are usually vigorous about mating much earlier than that. Them boys would have taken a nice, long, hot bath with aromatic veggies if they did that on my watch! I'm protective about my hens.

Even good rooster, which they are not until after 1 year old, will over mate hens if the ratios aren't correct.

What is your version of a rooster behaving or misbehaving?

Top Bottom