rooster flogged son

I had a rooster spur my leg awhile back and it bruised it bad. That was even through rubber boots and jeans. I can't imagine what it would of done with no protection. If it were my rooster i would have had him for supper.

well, what ya waiting for??? flog the roo right into a pot of dumplings
lau.gif

Quote:
Believe it or not it isn't that bad at all to process your own chicken...and it can be a truly amazing learning experience for the kids. I remember when I was younger and we raised chickens to survive, it was a family event to process the chickens. We'd do 4 at a time, and it was so cool! I remember looking inside a hen and there was a perfect egg just inside...then behind that there was a whole egg without a shell, then just a whole yolk, and then a looong chain of yolks in the tract that got consecutively smaller until they were too small to see. Of course, you won't be able to see that in a roo, but it's still amazing. Crock pots are also perfect for old roos who may be too tough otherwise! Good luck whatever you decide!

Quote:
Believe it or not it isn't that bad at all to process your own chicken...and it can be a truly amazing learning experience for the kids. I remember when I was younger and we raised chickens to survive, it was a family event to process the chickens. We'd do 4 at a time, and it was so cool! I remember looking inside a hen and there was a perfect egg just inside...then behind that there was a whole egg without a shell, then just a whole yolk, and then a looong chain of yolks in the tract that got consecutively smaller until they were too small to see. Of course, you won't be able to see that in a roo, but it's still amazing. Crock pots are also perfect for old roos who may be too tough otherwise! Good luck whatever you decide!

I will never forget the time my mother showed the neighbors boys @ 8 and 10 yrs. how to pull the tendon in the foot to make it open and close. Those boys took home pockets full of chicken feet.
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

I bet their mom had a cow.
ep.gif

Quote:
Oh please... I have one roo that gets my boot upside his head so much we call him the "head" rooster.

They kick each other why not join in when they start it.

On a behavioral note it was a challenge and a way of putting your 3 year old in his place with in the pecking order. Had he backed down it would have been worse today and every day after. That is if you keep the roo.

My roo isn't overtly aggressive, he never runs up to me or my son the flog us, however, should we inadvertently get between him and his girls ... it's on. I see that as protective and allow it. He still doesn't get away with it but it's a good thing in my book. If he ever gets aggressive, he's soup and it will take about as much time as is did for me to type this.

If a roo does it once, he will do it again. Don't take the chance that next time your son may get hit in the eye. I had a rooster do it once, my husband down played it, a few weeks later he jumped on me from the ground and cut my ear and my forehead. The cuts were deep, and if one had gotten an inch lower I would be blind.

This happened two days ago to my almost-3-year-old son. I gave my son a hug and had the older kids take him in the house, while I had a group chat with the rooster and my friends Smith and Wesson.

I know it's not 'proper' to shoot a rooster with a .38, but ANYTHING that attacks my kid is going to get it. I would have used a 2 by 4 and my bare hands if I had to. A spatula and a set of skewers.

I saw a thread just the other day where a lady reformed her roo behavior. I think it was somewhere in Managing your flock. You might try to read her thread.

My kids know how to deal with anything that tries to attack them here in my yard....and that is with a foot or stick. Works wonders until I can get out there and get him plucked and dressed for supper
wink.png
I have far too many chickens to worry about changing ones behaviour. Any attack chickens here, roo or hen, gets the "off with your head" order.
wink.png
I don't tolerate attack chickens for one minute.

Back
Top Bottom