1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster genes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hillschicks, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    How big of a roll does the rooster play in what type of eggs a chick will lay?? For example if we mixed a welsummer roo with a barred rock or something with a light brown egg... Would the resulting pullets get their egg from their mother or would the father throw his tarra cotta eggness into the mix leaving it a roll of the dice for the chicks??

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I think that it would be somewhere in between the colors. Although, sometimes they can take more after one side than the other.

I like my Easter Eggers so when I keep a rooster I try to make sure that he come from a green/blue eggs. So that I have a better chance of the offspring laying a colored egg.

Here's one of my current roosters:
    [​IMG]
    Cannot be be positively positive but I think that this one came from a brown egg (Naked Neck hen) covered by a Easter Egger rooster (he being from a green colored egg).

3. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Mkay, so basically its a roll of the dice, but adding a welsummer rooster to my flock will help vary egg color in future generations... Good deal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by