Rooster giving hens bald heads *Update- roo taken care of*

The head is a popular place for chickens (hens and roosters) to peck. Do you know if those hens are low on the pecking order? I have heard of many hens having that problem and the owners didn't even have a rooster. I have 2 roosters (their so nice, but I dont know because..) that make the hens lose back feathers. If it is the rooster, before you get mad at him, please remeber that he is just trying to do his rooster dutys. Since he seems to like 4 other specific hens those girls might be broody. My roosters love my BA's ( they are broody) They love 1 of my BO's (she is broody).
Good Luck!

So he was killed yesterday. I'm not sure if it is his breed (speckled Sussex) but it was so not worth processing imo. Once I had all the feathers off there was pretty much no meat. Our last roo (barred rock) was easily twice as large as this one. If I'd known he was going to be so meatless I would have killed him ages ago and just thrown him to the dogs.

So he was killed yesterday. I'm not sure if it is his breed (speckled Sussex) but it was so not worth processing imo. Once I had all the feathers off there was pretty much no meat. Our last roo (barred rock) was easily twice as large as this one. If I'd known he was going to be so meatless I would have killed him ages ago and just thrown him to the dogs.
it was for the best...

poor rooster...
hit.gif

that to me sounds like animal abuse. Why would you want to throw him to the dogs? You are teaching your dogs to kill chickens.
I had to laugh. Teaching them to kill chickens. You realize killing comes pretty darn naturally to dogs. They don't really need to be taught. Only 1 of our dogs is poultry safe. The others would kill every single one of them if given the chance. Besides, different attitudes I suppose. I take my dogs out hunting and reward them for every rabbit/ground animal they kill. Bloody pests is all they are. My family that lives in the city thinks bunnies are cute. Different attitudes.

I would agree that throwing a live rooster to the dogs would be animal abuse as well as giving the "thumbs up" to chicken killing. Feeding a dead one to the dogs would not be animal abuse. I'd probably want to make it look less like a live rooster before I fed it to the dogs, but I'd probably only be fooling myself that it would be different from the dog's perspective. When I butcher my chickens I've cooked the giblets for stock and then fed them as special treats to the dogs as well as feeding them the less savory bits when I strip a carcass after making soup. After all if you read the ingredient list of your dog food what's in it? Chicken, lamb, beef, venison?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom