Rooster Going After My 11 Year Old - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the camp that says stalk him, be aggressive toward him and show him who the boss is. I do this to my barred rock rooster who occasionally shows aggression towards my RIR rooster but never to us. I do it just to remind him that he is not the boss around here and it also seems to keep him from chasing the RIR that much. He is scared of me and I like it that way.

When I was in High school we had a rooster that would attack pretty much everyone. The first time he came at me, I kicked him across the yard and he never messed with me again. He did end up in the pot though because he took a chunk out of my grandma's leg when she came for a visit.

She needs to go after him instead of letting him come after her.

Wayne

pullhair.gif

I'm in the camp that says...do what will work for you.
I tried being aggressive with my beautiful roo when he started showing his hormones. I stomped toward him, kicked him and chased him. Yes, it got him away from me then and for a week or so, but he would challenge me again and I hated feeling like I had to be on guard looking over my shoulder everytime I was in the run and coop.

Then I read something about not letting your rooster get you thinking your a chicken, and acting like one. Instead, I started talking very sweet to him, in a quiet tone, "Your the handsomest rooster ever Earl" "How are you today, your such a good roo." I walk around him, I don't charge at him or chase him. I give him his space and feed him...even out of my hand when he is on the roost. He's the rooster, I don't want to be the boss rooster. I'm the flock keeper. I do not want him thinking he has to challenge me every so often to try to get to be the boss rooster...he already is.

We have gotten along splendidly since I started using this tactic. He is a wonderful roo and keeps his girls safe. He also knows, he's the boss roo and I'm the lady with the food, treats and water, and I mean them no harm. He has actually gotten sweet with me and stands close by when I'm sitting in the run, and softly clucks along with his girls.
I wish I could remember the thread where the link is so you could read it. After I did it was like a light bulb went on! No problems since. Do you think your daughter might want to try that? Anyway, just a thought...it really did work for me. Good luck!
smile.png

Something I've done before when a rooser is showing agression. Make sure there is an area where he can be cornered. If one starts something, kick him, more than a tap. Not too hard but at least enough to get him off his feet. Don't back down. Step toward him. If he gets uppity again, send him head over tail. Repeat as many times as it takes to get him to back off. Hopefully he is in a corner by now, if not, corner him. Then for about the next ten minutes or so worry him with your foot knock him this way and that but keep him in the corner. At some point and time he will probably stick his head on the ground in the corner or through the wire, after which point I just nudge him every once in a while (if his head is through the wire be gentle enough not to break his neck). He probably won't mess with her again if he ever does, whether that be head on or as she is leaving, he should be taken right back to a corner and worried some more. If that doesn't work and you still want to keep him just keep his spurs cut so he can't do any real damage, I don't consider scratches damage.

This has only failed me once thirty some years ago. I had a mean rooster "Rojo" my dad told me I had to show it who was boss or he would be dinner. I wanted to show him who was boss. We cut his spurs and I tried but we had dumplings a couple weeks later. I've done it several times since then with much better results, being larger than the rooster seems to help.

I recently had 2 roosters get aggressive with my boyfriend and myself. It started out that they were stalking us until last week and a few days ago when I went out to feed them one rooster started pecking me and then decided to spur me then the other joined him. The water hose was close enough for me to grab so they got soaked with cold water (it was about 45 degrees) then I picked them up and yelled"No" and took them inside to their "time out" cage so they wouldn't get too cold. The day my boyfriend got scratched up by them a day or so after he was petting Queen Libby and they scratched him up...he simply got up and gave each one a boot in the butt, not hard though. Since then they have been good little roosters. They have one more chance and that is it.

Quote:
Boy that roo has you trained REALLY good!
lol.png

Here is what I do. I grab them up, hold them upside down until they stop flapping, then I walk all around the yard to show ALL the other birds that he is getting "the treatment". I make sure he feels thoroughly humiliated that way, then I carry him around under my arm like a football for a while. (I have done this with my Std. Cornish, but my arm tires of carrying 13-pounds of solid, hulking roo). Since I have employed this tactic, I haven't had any of the roos come at me. If they even step sideways with me and try doing their drop wing shuffle, I give them a boot. If they just continue to misbehave, they are in the freezer or become compost for my garden.
My 9-year old daughter kept getting chased by this same Cornish, and one day she finally said she had had enough and went out, caught him, and she plucked one of his feathers for a school assignment she was working on. He has left her alone ever since.
lau.gif

I have several young boys out here now that are getting a little frisky in their new pens. If they try to mount a hen/pullet while I am doing chores, or if they start sparring while I am around, I go knock them off or break it up. If they try to keep sparring after I get them apart, I hold down the one who I think is the aggressor.

I will say one more thing and then I will leave it alone....
He is a SILKIE! OMG! That is too funny. Talk about Little Man's complex! She should just be able to pick him up and carry him all over in front of the girls. If he doesn't settle down, find a new roo for your girls. A really great roo may not be a dime a dozen, but you can find a goo replacement easy enough, I think. It isn't worth struggling for a long time with a nasty butt roo. He doesn't need to be Daughter's buddy, but he needs to respect her.

my silkie roo Roger....
102729_ground_parrot.jpg

Roger loves me. He loves to try an take a pek at me every time I go to pick him up if I do not be careful, cuz he is an attack first, ask questions later type of guy. So, I always touch his back first with one hand an then pick him up. No bites then. He's a great little guy. He does not challenge me any more thou. I just move slow with him and give him space. He also lets me know when he wants up. He will stand on my feet. He likes my shoulder cuz he gets to be up high. Lol

Quote:
Boy that roo has you trained REALLY good!
lol.png

Here is what I do. I grab them up, hold them upside down until they stop flapping, then I walk all around the yard to show ALL the other birds that he is getting "the treatment". I make sure he feels thoroughly humiliated that way, then I carry him around under my arm like a football for a while. (I have done this with my Std. Cornish, but my arm tires of carrying 13-pounds of solid, hulking roo). Since I have employed this tactic, I haven't had any of the roos come at me. If they even step sideways with me and try doing their drop wing shuffle, I give them a boot. If they just continue to misbehave, they are in the freezer or become compost for my garden.
My 9-year old daughter kept getting chased by this same Cornish, and one day she finally said she had had enough and went out, caught him, and she plucked one of his feathers for a school assignment she was working on. He has left her alone ever since.
lau.gif

I have several young boys out here now that are getting a little frisky in their new pens. If they try to mount a hen/pullet while I am doing chores, or if they start sparring while I am around, I go knock them off or break it up. If they try to keep sparring after I get them apart, I hold down the one who I think is the aggressor.

I will say one more thing and then I will leave it alone....
He is a SILKIE! OMG! That is too funny. Talk about Little Man's complex! She should just be able to pick him up and carry him all over in front of the girls. If he doesn't settle down, find a new roo for your girls. A really great roo may not be a dime a dozen, but you can find a goo replacement easy enough, I think. It isn't worth struggling for a long time with a nasty butt roo. He doesn't need to be Daughter's buddy, but he needs to respect her.

I've done the holding the rooster upside down and walking around the yard thing also. I think if you have an aggressive rooster, he has to learn to fear you and anyone that comes in contact with him.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom