Rooster Going After My 11 Year Old - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. Like I said, it isn't to the point of making stew or whatever. My daughter is just frustrated, so I was looking for some additional tips from everyone. Thanks again to those that gave me some ideas for her.
smile.png

Offer treats!! It works with my roo who will peck me and draw blood (my dad too) when I go up to him. Ive heard you can use water in a spray but that sounds kinda mean so I don't do that. Perhaps your daughter is getting too close to a hen he is fond of?!!?

He is a SILKY. I have told folks a hundred times they are NOT real chickens. They are aliens for another planet here to take over. Your rooster is probably a high up commander and will exert his authority over anyone he can.

You should all be wearing tin foil hats. He can read your DD's mind and knows she is afraid of him. Tell her to take a broom or board and give him a good whack. That'll learn him.

Honestly this is Minnie Rose Luvgreens advice from her Recipe for raising chickens. An actual book.

IMO Silkies are nothing but trouble and not worth my time.

Rancher

I didn't read all the comments so sorry if this is a duplicate but I had a similar situation with a standard sized rooster and my 2 year old nephew. He didn't like my nephew (normally he loves him) the other day and tried to go at him.

Normally pointing my finger in his face and yelling NO works but this time I got mad and showed him the bottom of my boot. I did this one time before with him and it worked great! It did this time as well. Sometimes he just needs the "victim" to show him that she is not a victim but is, in fact, his master and he WILL mind her!

Teach your daugher how to give a good kick without inducing injuries. She needs to teach him that SHE IS HIS BOSS. It won't work if you do it for her. She has to step up to him and teach him that she is in charge when she is out there.

This is Mushmouse. My first rehab. He came at me with everything he had. He bit me. I stalked him . Twice a day for a week. He would try to drink. I wouldn't let him. He tried to eat. I wouldn't let him. It only took a week.

2 years later, he got Marek's. We had become very close. He never ran from me. I would lift him up and put him in the coop every night. Out of all the roos I had, he had the most melodious crow I've ever heard.

I could not euthanize him. He was the only one I had to take to the vet to do it. Still chokes me up today. He wasn't a favorite, but we had a past.

Every life deserves a chance. Life is not based on how much it cost.
Okay, maybe a cockroach does not deserve a chance.

007-1.jpg

I hate people that say chickens are a dime a dozen. If you actually care about your chickens they are not. I am pretty sure the OP cares about their chicken so killing it will probably not be an option for them so stop suggesting it.

Last edited:
I agree that she should stalk the roo, for some reason it really triggers something in their little brains that says 'don't mess with her!'.

Have your daughter open her arms, and walk towards him steadily until he retreats. She needs to always maintain eye contact with him to let him know that he's the aim of this behavior. Keep her walking at him each time he retreats and turns around to face her again. The goal here is to have him stop turning and facing (a dominance behavior), and to just skiddadle completely.

It would also help if she would interrupt his attempts at mating hens while she's nearby, as that's another sign of dominance from him. Boot him off his girls, as that is what a dominant roo would do.

And tell her to always keep in mind that SHE is the boss
smile.png
That frame of mind will translate into her every movement. Roos are good at reading body-language (which is why some people get attacked, and others dont)

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom