Rooster Going After My 11 Year Old - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
One of my silkie roosters who is a year old jumps at my 11 year old daughter every time she goes out in the coop or run. He is fresh to me too, but not as aggressive. He is most behaved with my husband. When my daughter is with myself or my husband, this rooster doesn't go after her. He only does it when she is out there alone. Every time he jumps at her, she holds him to the ground for about a minute with his head down. As soon as she lets him go (even though he appears to have calmed down) he goes at her again. I don't want her to pick him up because I don't want him anywhere near her face. Is there any other advice I can give her to show him who's boss? Thanks!

ETA: My daughter will be 12 this week and is not a small child. She is my height (5'3")

Last edited:
Tomorrow, walk up to him very kindly, showing no anger and hostility. Pick him up ever so gently and whisper in his ear......Dumplings.
frow.gif

Quote:
Haha. Ok, I will give her that advice. Anyone else? She is just furious with him tonight. He left a scratch on her leg and she is NOT happy!
hmm.png

There is nothing like a long bath in warm broth to show him whos boss. Seriously its not worth the injury to a child to have a Man fighting rooster around, his beauty or genetics will be little comfort if someone is harmed.

Sorry PamB, couldnt help it. On a serious note though I have seen post from some well educated chicken owners on here that would advise you to try having her tote him around under her arm. Might work. Me personally though, if your not to attached to him then send him to freezer camp. Roosters are very easy to replace.

I had a similar problem with my roo. I fashioned a harness and leash from a rabbit harness and it stopped him dead in his tracks.
big_smile.png
For some reason when I put it on him it took all the wind out of his sails. It started with him realizing that I/the child had control and after a week or so I took the leash off then eventually the harness. Every time he acted up all I had to do was put on the harness and that was it. He's nearly two now and hasn't had it on in about a year. For an idea of how to make it go online and look up "bird leash" or "bird harness" and they will show you how they make the for birds like cockatoos and it's basically the same thing only backwards. I also "dog whispered" him as well...but that's a whole other thing. Good luck.

My 8 year old had that problem with my silkie roo this past summer. This is what we did. She wore jeans and went in the pen and stalked him. Nothing mean just keep walking toward him and making him move. Move move move. Do not back up. We did this twice a day for 2 days. They made friends. She told me she loves him best!

He had done that 3 years ago with me. I had done the same and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom