Rooster Going After My 11 Year Old - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I hope you aren't kidding yourself. NO rooster is truly safe. If he isn't convinced your daughter is in charge (which he CLEARLY isn't), she IS at risk. Just make sure SHE knows that. It can all go horribly bad in an instant ....

Good luck to all of you

Quote:
People that care about their chickens will solve the problem not eat their chicken....

zrossk - I realize you're young and idealistic and don't have chickens. But here's the reality. Sometimes people do eat their chickens. Even people who care about their chickens. If it were a matter of a chicken or my child's safety, the child's safety will always come first. An aggressive rooster is a liablity. What if a younger, smaller child were to come visit this farm and were seriously injured? The owners of the bird would be 100% responsible for that, and could get sued and lose everything - including their whole flock. I care very much about my chickens. I make sure they're fed, watered, warm, dry and safe. Guess what? When the time comes, I eat them and I get more. Reality. I realize that not everyone does that, and the OP can take those suggestions and do what most of us do when we read something we don't like. Take it for what it's worth and move on. Read and respond to the ones that make us happy. 'Nuff said. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

No, I'm not kidding myself, but this is a small silkie rooster. His behavior is more of an annoyance to her than anything else. If she wanted to she could pick him up and throw him in an instant so that is what I'm trying to explain...he is not dangerous. If my daughter was a small child, I would be more concerned.

I'd rather not have this turn into a cull or not cull argument. As I stated (a few times throughout this thread), I was simply looking for advice and tips I could give my daughter for handling him better. I am not considering rehoming him because he is not overly aggressive, she just needs to show him more often and in a more effective way that she is in charge.

Pele, GREAT advice. I appreciate it and will give my daughter this information. I think I have some new ideas to try. Thanks!

Quote:
I hope you aren't kidding yourself. NO rooster is truly safe. If he isn't convinced your daughter is in charge (which he CLEARLY isn't), she IS at risk. Just make sure SHE knows that. It can all go horribly bad in an instant ....

Good luck to all of you

@ bobbij You could just keep it away from people that is does not like. The OP already said that killing it was not an option so i don't know why people keep suggesting it. Really though how fast could a silkie run anyway. PamB also told us that the chicken was more of an annoyance than a danger. True i have never had chickens but when i do get them they will most likely be for pets and eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
I wasn't addressing this situation in particular, I was addressing your statement that people who care about their chickens don't eat them. I am done now. I'm not going to argue about it.

OP, I'm not trying to turn it into a cull or not cull argument. See above. I am done now.

I just want to make it very clear that this isn't a rooster that is acting aggressive and chasing people around. He jumps at my daughter once in a while. She has no fear of him and holds him down, but that hasnt yet put a stop to it, so I was looking for additional things for her to try. My rooster is in an enclosed and locked run that a small child cannot open.

I realize that some roosters are just aggressive and that sometimes you can't fix this issue. However, I've had enough roosters (I am a breeder) and I do not feel that he classifies as aggressive. He just needs to be put in his place a little more often by my daughter and I was looking to give her a couple more ideas to try...that's it.

Quote:
People that care about their chickens will solve the problem not eat their chicken....

zrossk - I realize you're young and idealistic and don't have chickens. But here's the reality. Sometimes people do eat their chickens. Even people who care about their chickens. If it were a matter of a chicken or my child's safety, the child's safety will always come first. An aggressive rooster is a liablity. What if a younger, smaller child were to come visit this farm and were seriously injured? The owners of the bird would be 100% responsible for that, and could get sued and lose everything - including their whole flock. I care very much about my chickens. I make sure they're fed, watered, warm, dry and safe. Guess what? When the time comes, I eat them and I get more. Reality. I realize that not everyone does that, and the OP can take those suggestions and do what most of us do when we read something we don't like. Take it for what it's worth and move on. Read and respond to the ones that make us happy. 'Nuff said. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

@bobbi-J - No worries.
wink.png
I wasn't directing that at you, just at the general way this thread was headed.

Quote:

That post made me laugh. The one by 1honey-whatever. It was like OMG THE WORLD WILL END TODAY IF YOU DON'T GO OUT AND KILL THAT CHICKEN!!!!

LOL. Read folks. No really, read. The whole thread. Then reply. Oh my.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom