Rooster Gone Wild? I am mortfied!

The man Sancho hates the most is a guy I've been friends with for 20 years when I lived up north in the city.
All that time he's wanted more than friendship & all that time I've refused. (Nicest guy in the world, but just not what I want in a bf)
Every couple months he comes to visit and Sancho just persecutes him, waiting for hours by the door
for the guy to come out. Sancho had him trapped in his car for 15 minutes until I felt bad enough to go rescue him.
My two tom turkeys dislike him as well. They fan out whenever he gets within 20 feet. The beta tom has only ever
fanned out when he is here, never for anyone else at any other time.
I gotta believe my birds have my best interests in mind!

Last edited:
I had a buff orp roo that was mostly docile around me (mostly. New shoes would set him off), but he consistently attacked strange men in the yard. The first time he ever attacked anybody, it was my dad. Dad had come over to check out the latest addition to the coop and the LF were out ranging. I didn't think anything about it until the rooster snuck behind dad and attacked. Thankfully, Dad was raised on a farm with chickens and he was prepared. Dad spun around and drop kicked him about 4 feet in the air (it wasn't a kick so much as he scooped the roo up with the top of his foot and tossed him). Big roo landed with a kawump and a startled expression on his face. He totally didn't see that one coming! After that he left my dad alone. He would pretty much go after any other man that showed up in the yard.

Like meriruka, I wasn't unhappy that I had an attack roo. I always kinda liked that he would run off uninvited people. When I knew someone was coming over I always kept the chickens locked up. But he was certainly a deterrent to uninvited people.
tongue.png

Louie was doing his job protecting his flock from outsiders and strangers he would consider a predator. Introduce whomever is going to take care of your flock next time. Take them in with you there and let the roo get to know him.

My roos will take the hens as far away from any stranger that comes to the yard as possible. Not sure what they do if I am not here. But the yards are locked so no one can come in if I were not here. DH can feed the chickens and ducks in the yards but if he comes in their coop or in the ducks night pen they all get very upset and loud. To them he does not belong there since he is not their caregiver or should I say janitor. Sounds like you have a good boy that will take on anything no matter how big, to protect his girls from what he sees as an outsider. I would give him an extra treat.

My big roo does the same thing. He is mostly fine with me but stalks and attacks any "strangers" that come into the yard. After a few runs at other people, he took a run at me......after I had been away from the yard most of the time for a week or two. I dealt with that accordingly
smile.png
but basically he will go after any stranger. I am the only one who is not considered a "stranger" but if I don't spend enough time out with the flock, he will treat me like one. I don't mind it either, I just keep an eye on him when I am out there in case he decides to get cranky and make sure he is locked up if anyone is coming into the yard........or that they are armed and ready for him.

Back
Top Bottom