Rooster growling???????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 202roosterlane, Jul 16, 2011.

1. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Okay, I know clucking, I know crowing but I have a rooster that crows and randomly does something I can only describe as growling. What up with this? Should I be worried or is this normal for a rooster?

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh mine do it all the time,mainly when they are seeing something around the property they are not used to.but some do it whenever,nothing to worry about..

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    They do this as a warning to the hens. If this is the same one my rooster does it is a warning for an air predator. The one for a ground predator is a little different. Mine does is with an airplane, also with a car (that must sound like an airplane!) The hens don't usually listen to him unless he does it twice. Since he tricks them with the treat call to get them into bed (figuratively speaking) they don't believe much of what he says.

4. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    My big roo growls all the time, that's why I named him "Dog!" He's a very gentle boy, but the name fits him perfectly.

5. golly_dolly

golly_dolly Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Ours do what I can only describe as a squawking growl all the time and that sounds like what everyone is describing as a warning growl. But we also just sold a Buff Rock rooster that would go hunker down in the corner of the coop beneath the nesting boxes and making a purring sort of growl. He would just do it randomly... I never noticed any triggers for it. But it was very strange indeed.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:good to know.

7. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    My roo did something yesterday when he saw a bird fly over the run. I would describe him sounding like a dinosaur!! Lol

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think you are describing a warning sound. Some roosters "cry wolf" and others warn only when there is real danger.

9. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    My NN rooster growls, mostly as a warning to us - that we are crossing the line of "good behavior". which often gets him extra holding and petting. I suspect he growls warnings to the girls, but he as growled since he was a little thing, as soon as his voice changed from peeps. I haven't noticed the other two rooster growling though.

10. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I love it when my Edward growls. It is too freaking cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by