Rooster growling???????

202roosterlane

Happy Hen on a Harley
12 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Central Arkansas
Okay, I know clucking, I know crowing but I have a rooster that crows and randomly does something I can only describe as growling. What up with this? Should I be worried or is this normal for a rooster?

They do this as a warning to the hens. If this is the same one my rooster does it is a warning for an air predator. The one for a ground predator is a little different. Mine does is with an airplane, also with a car (that must sound like an airplane!) The hens don't usually listen to him unless he does it twice. Since he tricks them with the treat call to get them into bed (figuratively speaking) they don't believe much of what he says.

My big roo growls all the time, that's why I named him "Dog!" He's a very gentle boy, but the name fits him perfectly.

Ours do what I can only describe as a squawking growl all the time and that sounds like what everyone is describing as a warning growl. But we also just sold a Buff Rock rooster that would go hunker down in the corner of the coop beneath the nesting boxes and making a purring sort of growl. He would just do it randomly... I never noticed any triggers for it. But it was very strange indeed.

Last edited:
My roo did something yesterday when he saw a bird fly over the run. I would describe him sounding like a dinosaur!! Lol

I think you are describing a warning sound. Some roosters "cry wolf" and others warn only when there is real danger.

My NN rooster growls, mostly as a warning to us - that we are crossing the line of "good behavior". which often gets him extra holding and petting. I suspect he growls warnings to the girls, but he as growled since he was a little thing, as soon as his voice changed from peeps. I haven't noticed the other two rooster growling though.

Back
Top Bottom