Rooster has a broken leg...

L_Newt

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
This is our first year at raising chickens but we are learning very quickly as we go. My husband had minor experience when he was a child. I have had none.
All of a sudden, our rooster comes up with a broken leg. He's getting around okay when he doesn't accidentally step on his own dragging leg. Then he falls over. Not a pretty sight.
My husband says we have to put him down. Isn't there something else we can do??? (Hopefully something that doesn't involve a vet.)

Make a splint out of popsicle sticks.
smile.png
Also put him in a place where he cant roost. That just keeps him from prolonging the healing to his leg. Hope this helps.
smile.png

You can do two things, make a splint or put him down. If you're going to make a splint, do it quickly so the bones do protrude through. popsicle sticks( as mentioned above) will work fine. Put him away from the rest of the flock until healed. otherwise, put him down. He'll do more damage to himself if its not taken care of either way. Don't want him to suffer.

Thank you so much. He's a great rooster, but hubby's dying to turn him into Coq Au Vin. I'll try the sticks and cross my fingers.

His leg from the knee down just hangs there. He drags it around and occasionally steps on it and falls down. When he's standing still, he just holds it up.

I have had birds with broken legs twice. Both times they survived and were fine. We splinted the leg and made a sling that was like a baby bouncer so the bird's weight was supported. It sounds more labor-intensive than it was, it was really pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom