Rooster has abnormal poop, lethargic *Edit with update*

brewmiss96

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Redmond, OR
So I noticed my splash BLRW roo has dark greenish runny poop with stringy 'egg drop' looking white instead of the normal looking poop. Any idea what it is and what I should do? I will start giving them medicated feed and water but if you know what it is would you recommend a directed treatment? I work at a veterinarian clinic so getting specific drugs is doable.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would take a look at this chart first to see if any of the examples line up with what you're seeing.
http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

*Warning: Not for a weak stomach
tongue.png

I got off work early today and went out to check on him. I found him standing still in one spot while the other birds pecked around... he let me catch him easily, his keel is more pronounced so I'm worried he's dehydrated and not eating now. When I put him down for a bit he stood, then started walking a bit and kinda stumbled. Then when I tried to catch him again he protested a little more but not as much as he should. I have him isolated now with ACV water and yogurt. Any ideas? Should I deworm, medicate water?

Only thing different is I finished their new run this week and they have been out in it since Wed. I've also had the blrw chicks in the coop with them for the last 2 weeks, separated in a dog crate. The chicks were vacc'd for Marek's when I got them, they are all fine, but all my other birds that I've had for almost a year have been together NP.

Please help, thanks!

I wouldn't deworm unless you know he has worms, especially not when he isn't feeling well. How old are the birds? I would think maybe cocci if they are young, and then treat their water with Corid or Sulmet.

I just checked his poop again and there is blood in it, not much but it's there, along with the shed intestinal lining, unfortunately BigR just closed so I will have to wait until morning. He is drinking AVC water, has eaten some yogurt and did show interest in the chick starter crumble (thought I'd give that a try instead of the normal layer pellets). I will do a search to see if there's anything else I can do. He's resting comfortably in the crate on the kitchen table.

Just keep an eye on them.If more start acting off call your vet and see if s/he will come out and check the situation and tell you what illness you are dealign with.I am sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom