Rooster has an Injured Foot

Damico015

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2021
Hi all, first time chickeneer and poster. My rooster, Eddie, seems to have injured his foot recently. 3 days ago we noticed a limp, but it hadn't seemed to really stop him from doing anything he normally would. We checked him to see about potential bumblefoot, but there's no wounds or anything. We think it's possible he hurt himself either jumping off the roosts, or maybe trying to mount one of the hens. The past few days have seen him moving less and no longer roosting; opting to sleep in a nest box. We've been checking him to see for movement in the leg and foot. Today at closing time it seemed like he didn't have movement or feeling below the knee, but we aren't too sure. He is still able to walk around, although his toes are curled up. He is both eating and drinking, and really he doesn't seem to notice anything is wrong. He isn't crowing as much as he usually does. I've included a handful of pictures of the leg in question. Thanks for any help!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_173259364.jpg
    IMG_20210121_173259364.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210121_173305851.jpg
    IMG_20210121_173305851.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210121_173328172.jpg
    IMG_20210121_173328172.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210121_173329903.jpg
    IMG_20210121_173329903.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 8
This can be symptoms of either an injury, a riboflavin deficiency, and unfortunately, Mareks disease. How old is he? Have you added any new birds ro your flock in the last few months? Can you get a close-up or two of his feet standing? He looks to have some grey crust of scaly leg mites. Those may treated with applying vaseline or casto oil to his legs and rubbing it in once or twice a week. Limping chickens may get hurt by other flock members, so watch for that. Make sure that he is close to food and water.

This can be symptoms of either an injury, a riboflavin deficiency, and unfortunately, Mareks disease. How old is he? Have you added any new birds ro your flock in the last few months? Can you get a close-up or two of his feet standing? He looks to have some grey crust of scaly leg mites. Those may treated with applying vaseline or casto oil to his legs and rubbing it in once or twice a week.
We believe him to be roughly 8 months old. We got him on Halloween, and he looks pretty much exactly the same. He, along with a hen, are our newest additions. We just started with chickens in mid to late September. I was looking up scaly leg mites, we've already got a vaseline for them, so I'll try that. We currently have the flock on VetRx and apple cider vinegar, but can get a vitamin supplement too. I was worried about Marek's, but it's only the leg that seems to be bothering him. I saw that vision issues and weight loss were more indicators, and he is not exhibiting any of those.

Here are a couple pictures of him standing by the feeder. He's eating and drinking water and seems just as energetic as usual, just having trouble walking around. I've added a vitamin supplement to their water, and I want to get him set up today in a resting area where I'll give him a riboflavin supplement as well. Thanks y'all for the help already! Gonna keep moving forward and try to get my little guy up and running around again.

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_085958899.jpg
    IMG_20210122_085958899.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210122_090008423.jpg
    IMG_20210122_090008423.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 5
Mareks can only affect one leg or wing or both. Symptoms differ in each case. There are 4 types of Mareks that affect nerves, skin, eyes, and organs. At his age it could be a possibility. I would treat him with the B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet daily crushed into food or a spoonful of water (or chicken vitamins that contain riboflavin) for a couple of weeks. Here is some reading about the disease:
http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Update: he's closed away for the night in a nest box with a mash of food and water with Rooster Booster Poultry Cell supplement. His water today had added vitamins and electrolytes as well. He's still getting to food and water no problem, and he isn't looking any worse for wear. Thanks for all the resources, they've been super helpful! Just trying to give these chickens the best shot we can

Final Update: thanks for the help y'all! Though we aren't out of the woods 100% just yet, Eddie is getting there. About 3 days ago I saw him moving his toes, and as of today he is roosting and moving with little trouble on the bad foot! His strength is coming back, and he's doing world's better. He had a chance to rest, his bad leg was splinted, and Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster was added to the water. It took about a week of the Poultry Cell treatment, but he started doing better little by little until now when it seems he's almost fully back to normal! The help and advice was great!

Back
Top Bottom