Rooster has poop clogging vent

pntdhorses

Songster
6 Years
Oct 18, 2015
SE Kansas
I have had a ongoing problem with mostly roosters in that they seem to get a adult version of pasty butt. Their poop hardens and clogs their vents. I had two little D’uccle roosters die last year. And I currently have 3 more roosters that I have to constantly monitor and bathe to remove the poop Their vents also get very red and swollen. They are on Purina Flockraiser which has prebiotic’s and probiotics. They get to free range every day. What on earth could be going on?

Are they keeping each other from water? I would put out multiple water stations all around their coop, run, and ranging areas, just to make sure they are not dehydrated. Check vents often, soak in warm soapy water if needed. Fly strike from flies laying maggot eggs on poopy vents is serious in hot weather. Coconut oil can be chilled and cut into small pieces for pecking, and that might soften droppings. A small amount of vegetable oil could also be added to a little feed as well to do the same thing. Also, make sure they have been wormed and repeat that in 10 days with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer.

Back
Top Bottom