Rooster has strange red joints

LastLegacy

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
PXL_20210219_183416526.MP.jpg

I was out doing my chores today when I noticed how red his leg was. I don't have a clue what this is from. He is healthy and well outside of the strange red joints. Maybe from roosting too much due to the cold weather?

View attachment 2536825

I was out doing my chores today when I noticed how red his leg was. I don't have a clue what this is from. He is healthy and well outside of the strange red joints. Maybe from roosting too much due to the cold weather?
It doesn't look like the joint to me.. not seeing anything on the toes/ankles.. looks to be above the feather line.. meaning either lost some feathers or possibly dealing with mites/lice.. Have you checked the skin color below his vent and on his abdomen?

Is that redness, above, below, or all around the joint.. I admit my eyes are terrible and photos don't always tell the whole story.

It does not look like normal hormonal flushing usually does.

What is his age? How many flock members, usual feed routine. free range?

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestions possible at glance.. they might know if you have the same resources available or not, etc.. since we are gathered from around the world in this community here..
Hope you are enjoying BYC by the way, welcome! :frow

It doesn't look like the joint to me.. not seeing anything on the toes/ankles.. looks to be above the feather line.. meaning either lost some feathers or possibly dealing with mites/lice.. Have you checked the skin color below his vent and on his abdomen?

Is that redness, above, below, or all around the joint.. I admit my eyes are terrible and photos don't always tell the whole story.

It does not look like normal hormonal flushing usually does.

What is his age? How many flock members, usual feed routine. free range?

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestions possible at glance.. they might know if you have the same resources available or not, etc.. since we are gathered from around the world in this community here..
Hope you are enjoying BYC by the way, welcome! :frow
Now that I'm looking at it, it seems to strangely be only the upper half of the joint on both legs thats red. It doesn't continue above that point at all, I separated his feathers to be certain. He's a little under a year old now and is in a flock of twenty I all raised as chicks up. They're in a large pen with no free ranging currently as I live in Michigan and theres about two feet of snow on the ground. It's been especially cold recently so everyones been spending most of their time in the coop. I checked my other chickens to see if anyone else has the strange redness, but it seems he's the only one.

Back
Top Bottom