Rooster help!

katiekahn2

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
This morning when I let the chickens out our rooster was still on the roost and acting funny. We assume he's about 3yrs old. When I picked him up I noticed his pupil was white and cloudy on left eye,the other looks fine, his mouth is hanging open and seemed to be wheezing. When I put him down he was walking fine but seemed to be struggling to breath. What could this be?

Welcome to BYC. His eye could have a cataract from infection or vitamin A or E deficiency. Ammonia odors in the coop can also cause eye ulceration. How is your coop ventilation? High temperatures in summer, dust or mold, and poor ventilation can help cause respiratory diseases. You may want to give him some oxytetracycline or Tylan in his water, or get Tylan 50 injectable and give him 1 ml orally twice a day for 5 days, in case of a bacterial infection. It won't treat viruses or fungal infections though. If you can separate him from the other chickens, hopefully the others won't get sick. Here is a good chart that tells about the common respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma, coryza, infectious bronchitis, ILT, and aspergillosis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom