1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster: Hen Ratio Questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by modchicken, Sep 13, 2012.

1. modchicken

modchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2012
    I currently have an EE cockerel, BR pullet, Red Star Rooster, and a Black Star/BSL hen. Could I breed these? They all get along well? When it comes to mating will there still be to much stress? Overmating? The roosters are very sweet! Thanks guys!

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    one on one can be ok depending on your roos tempriment

ideally though 1 roo to half a dozen or so hens is good number as 1 roo mating 1 chicken can get too much as the roo wont think she needs a sperm topup he will think i need nookie and will mate her regardless

i have 15 to 1 at the moment with a few non mating roos in there that know main roo is boss so dont touch

they never crow let alone try to mate

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Whoops, I just noticed you asked me this on the other thread I answered you in! Well, silverfox is right, half a dozen at least works well, with 10 being optimum to avoid your hens being injured. However, if you don't really have the space right now, I'd say play it by ear. See if your roosters are roughing your hens up with too much mating. If they don't, great! If they do, more hens are needed or, as hard as it may be, you might need to consider finding a new home for one of the roosters. Why don't you start by buying your girls some hen saddles? They protect their backs from the rooster while mating and can actually look quite cute! A member of this forum makes them and sells them. They're only $5 and they ship them for free! Here's the website: http://www.louisescountrycloset.com

That'll help prevent a problem before it begins, if you'd like to try to stay with just the birds you have :) Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by