ROOSTER HURTING HENS-SERIOUS PROBLEM!!

logansmommy7

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Shenandoah Valley
Ok-I went to check eggs today and there was one of my RSL on the nest-her wings were spread and I noticed she had a big laceration-yuckiness on her back. When I got her she was missing a few feathers on her back but they seemed to be growing back. Upon further inspection tonight-she is the worst but several others have these same lacerations (not quite as infected looking as this one). We sprayed some of our fly spray (blue stuff) that we use on our steers that were just castrated. I figured that would be as good as anything until we could get some antibiotic powder or something to heal them. We have also had a lot of rain-and nothing is dry for them to dust in...could this be contributing to the problem?

I know that the lacerations were caused by our roo's spurs. He is a nice guy-but those bad boys were sharp! I had in previous weeks looked on Youtube to watch the despurring of roosters. It looks easy but I never had the guts to try it...well-I am concerned for the girls! So I told my partner to hold Joe tight and I went and got the pliers. It was SOOOO easy-I just firmly gripped the spur and turned slightly and off it came! I sure hope this will keep my girls healthy and no more wounds.

Please-let me know what I should do to get my girls all healed up!! I know that segregating them would be best but it kind of isn't possible in my situation right now. They have to be in the same pen. Plus it is a bit of a widespread problem at this point since multiple hens are affected.

Thanks!!

As I don't breed - and my roosters are just "accidents from the hatchery". I'll eventually go towards a female-only society.

The boys are really beautiful, but they are just too hard on the females.

Maybe you could put some Neosporin on the wounds?

And maybe put the roo in a dog crate for a few days to give the hens some time to heal up?

Just a couple of ideas...

I agree with both suggestions. Clean the wounds with a mixture of water and betadine, then cover with antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. Get some chicken saddles to cover the back until the wounds heal (there's a women online who makes them - Marion Lo Prinzi). Watch for flies or use Catron to prevent maggot infestation.

I always put chicken saddles on the hens when they're missing feathers to prevent injuries like this.

Best of Luck, Lynn

GET CHICKEN SADDLES!!! I just ordered one for my duck - lol - and I have yet to take pictures but she loves it!

I know Tess sells them, And I thought I saw a sale going on for only $3 each...

GO HERE!!!!
bun.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=189098

One time I took a baby's onesie and put it on my hen Shirley because of the rooster's damage to her back. A few minutes later I was out front of the house talking to my neighbor Dale and my grandchild came running and announced in a panicked voice, "He's tearing her clothes off!"
It sounded terrible but I then had to explain it was the rooster about whom she was speaking.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom