Rooster in Critical Health

Pics

Jose11632

Songster
Sep 7, 2020
Houston, Texas
Rooster stopped crowing and started napping on top of his feeder and started acting lazy few days passed we didn’t think much since everyone was starting to lay down due to the cooled down temperatures in July 4th we had a hen sleeping standing so we acted quick and dewormed and gave corid to everyone we where giving corid before this but started deworming in case. The hen stopped sleeping standing but lost her appetite while the rooster eats by himself while the hen won’t eat anything while the rooster will and we have been seeing the rooster comb and wattle turn orange. The hen is a bit more active moves more than the rooster. They are both in separate coops before this happened the rooster by himself and the hen with her other 4 sisters. We split the rooster further away in a cage. And are giving him rooster booster vitamins and electrolytes. But today he looks the worst. The hens is the same like yesterday but isn’t worse while the rooster barely stands and has a wet belly from his poop I’m assuming since his drinker is still standing. He hasn’t crowed and doesn’t make much noise while the chicken does make noise and sometimes makes her alert noise while the rooster doesn’t if anyone knows what’s wrong I would greatly appreciate it. The roosters poop is like the hens but all green instead of the yellow

Attachments

• 8B319522-DD4B-4B14-BB56-E8B42B5F22F5.jpeg
    8B319522-DD4B-4B14-BB56-E8B42B5F22F5.jpeg
    524.8 KB · Views: 69
  • CE9CB946-4CC0-40EE-88AA-06B375A9435C.jpeg
    CE9CB946-4CC0-40EE-88AA-06B375A9435C.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 32A18C41-DAFF-41B7-B8D7-6EF6D9B73872.jpeg
    32A18C41-DAFF-41B7-B8D7-6EF6D9B73872.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DB635AB8-809D-4DAE-AAD2-6E7635F41565.jpeg
    DB635AB8-809D-4DAE-AAD2-6E7635F41565.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 6727C191-0ACA-4EAB-8DE1-2F389740BD34.jpeg
    6727C191-0ACA-4EAB-8DE1-2F389740BD34.jpeg
    947.5 KB · Views: 18
Have you been able to take some samples to a vet or send them to your state lab for analysis?

Just a quick glance at your started threads, you have had a lot of issues. I haven't done a lot of reading of what's been going on with your chickens, but since seems ongoing, then seeking vet care may be best.

I see posts ranging from swollen wattles, to canker, to worms...

What course of treatment(s) have you tried with your birds?
What do you feed your birds and do they have access to anything toxic, rotten, etc.?
Are you sanitizing water stations?
Separating sick birds?

Not being harsh...just trying to help you figure out what's going on, what you have treated with and what maybe you can try.
It would be a very good idea, if you lose a bird, send it to your state lab for analysis so you have the information to move forward and give the correct treatment(s) to get your flock healthy.
State labs will usually also accept fecal samples for analysis. Give them a call to see what they offer in your area and how to go about it. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

As for your rooster. I would work on hydrating him and give him white cooked rice with buttermilk.
Look him over really well for lice/mites.

Have you been able to take some samples to a vet or send them to your state lab for analysis?

Just a quick glance at your started threads, you have had a lot of issues. I haven't done a lot of reading of what's been going on with your chickens, but since seems ongoing, then seeking vet care may be best.

What do you feed your birds and do they have access to anything toxic, rotten, etc.?
Separating sick birds?

Not being harsh...just trying to help you figure out what's going on, what you have treated with and what maybe you can try.
It would be a very good idea, if you lose a bird, send it to your state lab for analysis so you have the information to move forward and give the correct treatment(s) to get your flock healthy.
State labs will usually also accept fecal samples for analysis. Give them a call to see what they offer in your area and how to go about it. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

As for your rooster. I would work on hydrating him and give him white cooked rice with buttermilk.
We de mites the hen and the rooster last night we fed them and hydrated. The hens comb was pale but we gave them rooster booster vitamins and electrolytes for both and the hens comb is back to normal as we did their weekly coop cleaning sweeped their floor sprayed vinegar and some poultry spray around the coop. We change their waters daily.

Separating sick birds?

We gave them corid for 7 days before and 3 days in we also decided to worm them in case they also had some since one was acting sad but she was good the next day. We gave them a mix of yogurt, raw egg and wet chick starter feed mixed.

Separating sick birds?

The hen was sick before the rooster but he looks worse even though he ate but lost his appetite today like the hen did 3 days ago. Any idea why the hen doesn’t wanna eat ANYTHING( not trying to sound mean) closest thing she ate by herself is ONE blueberry but shook her head and said nope. We hand feed both.

Separating sick birds?

Ohh the rooster has been eating cracked corn since we have seen he can’t eat layer feed since too much calcium isn’t good for them.

Give the rooster the layer feed if that's what you have, it should be fine. Many people feed their roosters layer feed.

Do they still have canker or yeast infection inside their beaks?
Provide your birds with grit (crushed granite) so they can process their foods properly.

You treat for mites/lice, did they have parasites on them heavily? What did you treat them with.

Please look inside their beaks for lesions. Make sure their crops are emptying.
Feed ALL your birds a nutritionally complete feed, even if that means feeding the rooster layer feed.

I would still offer some white cooked rice with buttermilk to the rooster in addition to him eating the layer feed.

Give the rooster the layer feed if that's what you have, it should be fine. Many people feed their roosters layer feed.

Provide your birds with grit (crushed granite) so they can process their foods properly.

You treat for mites/lice, did they have parasites on them heavily? What did you treat them with.

Feed ALL your birds a nutritionally complete feed, even if that means feeding the rooster layer feed.

I would still offer some white cooked rice with buttermilk to the rooster in addition to him eating the layer feed.
Not heavily it’s been months since I have de mited them this chicken had her mouth swollen with a big bump than a big yellow thing popped out my mom said it felt like a fungus when she took it out. So we bought nystatin for it, since it gots no foul smell. We gave them corid since more than a week ago we saw dark red on a poop so we quickly gave them corid on their water. 3 days later we found a sad chicken in a corner, and since we where giving them corid then we went to the next thing since I have seen a chicken with worms sad so dewormed the whole flock while we where giving them corid, since I saw that they can be given in the same day but at different times. The chicken is alive but the rooster is dead.

The chicken is being given antibiotic in case an egg broke and it can cause infection.

All of the chickens where giving the same medication and all but her are the only affected. But why doesn’t she want to eat? She doesn’t want to eat anything.

Back
Top Bottom