Rooster in Trouble - HELP this thread is moved to ER, so if you have comments please go there to hel

Big Ash Ranch

Hatching
Jul 20, 2016
Hey everyone, I am new to BYC. I have read many posts over the last few months and put to use a lot of good information, so thank you all. I have a new issue. I recently inherited 5 laying hens and a rooster after my father in law suddenly passed away last week. I already have 4 Black Coper laying hens and a large Meat White Meat Rooster. Upon putting them together, I figured a pecking order would be established but since, Larry, my Meat Rooster was breed to not have spurs his aggressive actions towards the new rooster initially have him separated from the flock and wounded. His feathers are a mess, his tail area is black and covered in maggots. I have read several posts on how to get rid of the maggots, clean the wound and get him on antibiotics but if I do all that and he continues to back after the other rooster is there any hope? I need advice to have him put down or if he can be saved and his brain rewired?

maggots are harder to get rid of than you can imagine. They start out eating dead flesh and when that runs out the are happy to attack living flesh and migrate through the body. If he is a meat bird, he probably doesn't have long to live anyway. I would cull him.

Thank you for your response. I found a product used on horses to kill flys and maggots in wounds. I've cleaned him up and removed all the maggots. If he has any inside I don't see them. I've sprayed him down with Vetricyn and he seems to be responding. I know its stupid, he's a meat rooster but he was our first bird and everyone wants to save him. I don't know what to do with him though if I can save him long term. He's just going to keep going back after the other dominant rooster, so I have to figure out what to do. My kids want him to be an inside bird. Not so keen on that!

Back
Top Bottom