Rooster injury around vent - poo problem - need help

nutso

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Kingston Springs, TN
About a week and a half ago, my juvenile Ameracauna - easter egger rooster (11 weeks) was attacked by others in the flock. I don't know what started the attack. His back end was seriously pecked and bleeding from several places. A good bit of his back was plucked too - all his tail feathers were plucked except one. I put him in a separate house and soaked his behind in warm water laced with betadyne and put some A&D ointment on the sores. After a few days of this treatment I started actively washing his behind with betadyne and rinsing with hydrogen peroxide; I stopped the A&D ointment after a few days.

Throughout the whole deal, the rooster has had solid poo but continuously dribbled the white poo. I gave him some yogurt mixed with feed and a little vitE - this dried up his dribbling white poo (can't remember the name) for the day but it came back dribbling again after one day. I've done this 3 times and each time it dried him up - only for the wet to return.

He was initially really hurt and showing it but has gotten stronger, eats well, perches again. So, I put him back in with the rest of the flock today since his sores are healed. The new tissue is red so I dabbed blue food coloring on those spots so the cannibals wouldn't go after him again but I'm concerned - the rest of the flock is interested in this white poo that has the lower part of his back end wet.

What have I missed in resolving this problem? Any help will be appreciated.

One of my house mate's barred Plymouth Rock chicks died almost the exact same way. Was attacked by a dog, but had hardly any external injuries. I spent hours with this little chick, trimming away at his feathers so I could get to all the little injuries and treat them. I, personally, have been told by vets to start with hydrogen peroxide for a day or two and then start using strictly ointment as the peroxide dries out the skin and can cause further irritation, whereas the ointment moisturises and helps that way.

Anyway, all throughout cleaning the little boy up, he was dribbling this white poo ( uric acid, I think? ). I think maybe it was just shock and trauma? A couple of Cornish cross-type broiler birds ( also my house mate's ) weren't attacked that I saw nor dealing with any physical injury, but was dribbly for a few days before they finally went - one after the other. Each one of these I stayed with until the very end.

sad.png
Sweet rooster couldn't hang on - RIP

Thanks for your comments. I'm sorry to say that my sweet little rooster didn't make it. He hung on a few days longer than my original post, seemed to be getting better each day, but continued to leak the white poo. After looking at the poo page on another site, it looked a lot like what happened is when a chicken has kidney problems.

When I went out to close up the coop in the evening, I found the rooster laying on the coop's floor - dead. So, the rest of the flock is doing well with no symptoms of illness thank goodness.

Best,

Nutso

Back
Top Bottom