Rooster integration

Toddlebahns

Chirping
May 3, 2023
Hello,

Our last rooster was lost to a predator (fox). We decided to adopt another rooster, he's between 1 and 2 yrs old. We decided to replace our rooster due to the amount of hawks flying around.

We have just started integrating him to the flock and I have a couple questions.

Overall the hens seem unbothered by him. But he is crowing a lot. Especially when I come out to the barn/coop to do chores. I've kept them all contained within the coop and run while they get used to one another. He paces whenever I or any other family member is outside. Then last night, while feeding the birds he attacked me bit my finger and attempted to peck at my legs. He tried me again this morning.

He is obviously stressed and seeing me as a threat. The previous owner said he was very friendly and sent me a picture of him perched on her back! So do I work on getting him to trust me or assert my dominance? Is there any hope, or is he likely to continue this behavior. So far I'm chalking it up to him being stressed.

So far when the attacks have occurred, I sort of swiped at him and once even held him down. Tonight he tried mating a hen in front of me and pushed him off. He retreated from me. No further incidents.

Is it typical for a new rooster to sort of test you? Or is he just showing me that he will be a problem?

I don't want to create a problem. But I also have no interest in keeping a jerk. I also noticed he doesn't seem to try to "show" the ladies when he finds food/treats. He just gobbles it right up. Makes me wonder as my last roo was always a perfect gentlemen letting the hens have first choice. I never had a single incident with our last rooster, he was around the same age and introduced to an existing flock as well. Never once did I get an inkling that he was even thinking about coming at me. He typically just kept his distance, but was comfortable in my presence.

For now I would go easy with him. Chickens hate change and he is still adjusting to his new home, flock. and keeper. Rather than acting aggressively with him, I would carry a small/short broom and just sort of shove/guide him away if he comes at you.
I've tried not to be "aggressive". Sort of gently letting him know I'm in charge.

Broom is a good option. I will do that, I actually thought of that and carried one with me initially this morning. Then had put it down to do the feeders and that is when he decided to approach me.

Thank you!

For now I would go easy with him. Chickens hate change and he is still adjusting to his new home, flock. and keeper. Rather than acting aggressively with him, I would carry a small/short broom and just sort of shove/guide him away if he comes at you.

Hopefully once he figures out that you are not a threat to him or his new flock he will relax his attitude.
That's what I'm hoping too.

I'm worried that by kind of swiping him away, I am making myself out to be more of a threat. So, I'm questioning my every move around him! Ha

Hello,

Our last rooster was lost to a predator (fox). We decided to adopt another rooster, he's between 1 and 2 yrs old. We decided to replace our rooster due to the amount of hawks flying around.

We have just started integrating him to the flock and I have a couple questions.

Overall the hens seem unbothered by him. But he is crowing a lot. Especially when I come out to the barn/coop to do chores. I've kept them all contained within the coop and run while they get used to one another. He paces whenever I or any other family member is outside. Then last night, while feeding the birds he attacked me bit my finger and attempted to peck at my legs. He tried me again this morning.

He is obviously stressed and seeing me as a threat. The previous owner said he was very friendly and sent me a picture of him perched on her back! So do I work on getting him to trust me or assert my dominance? Is there any hope, or is he likely to continue this behavior. So far I'm chalking it up to him being stressed.

So far when the attacks have occurred, I sort of swiped at him and once even held him down. Tonight he tried mating a hen in front of me and pushed him off. He retreated from me. No further incidents.

Is it typical for a new rooster to sort of test you? Or is he just showing me that he will be a problem?

I don't want to create a problem. But I also have no interest in keeping a jerk. I also noticed he doesn't seem to try to "show" the ladies when he finds food/treats. He just gobbles it right up. Makes me wonder as my last roo was always a perfect gentlemen letting the hens have first choice. I never had a single incident with our last rooster, he was around the same age and introduced to an existing flock as well. Never once did I get an inkling that he was even thinking about coming at me. He typically just kept his distance, but was comfortable in my presence.
I agree with sourland, give him time. Put yourself in his place. New home, new owner, new girls. He doesn't know what to expect.
I just went through this. Mine was very stressed and worried. He came from a group of cockerels that were to be sold or killed. I want him to like me, not be afraid of me, but know I'm not afraid of him. We are getting along fine. I caught him a few times, held him in my lap and petted him, fed him those worms they love and before that, worked with him alone and had to get him to trust me enough to eat out of my hand. He's just a couple of weeks younger than my girls. So far he never oversteps with me or even seems like he wants to. He also watches the girls when they sit in my lap. They have to have respect and we have to also give it. That being said, unless he turns into a real jerk. But from what you say about his previous owner, he must be a good boy. So I would work from that. A lot of animals strike out when fearful. He doesn't know why he's not in Kansas anymore.

Back
Top Bottom