Rooster is being a jerk

ChxLadyCass

Songster
6 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
Hey there!

My rooster is about 11 months old and has started attacking my daughter and I. He got me by surprise this morning and it didn't hurt, but made me wanna hurt him back! He has been raised by my own hand and has always like us until recently. He's also been chased around by a dumb dog on our property and I wonder if that has triggered his aggression? He is also over mating about half my flock. The youngest gals are starting to bald! Is there anything I can do to curb his behavior? Does he need a time out? Is he just a bad egg or is this typical of a young man? Thank you for your help and advice!

Unfortunately... this is typical of boys that have been "raised by your own hand". :(

Chickens don't understand cuddles... they understand respect and pecking order. He doesn't fear (equals respect to chickens) you and thinks he can take you down. His hormones are like that of a teen age boy... raging and lots of energy to spend.

Send him to freezer camp! :drool It's your responsibility to protect your gals. And his behavior towards you WILL likely escalate. You mention a daughter... her safety is worth more than the life of that cockerel and the risk of blinding from flogging or other infection if blood is drawn is too great.

The first couple times I was attacked didn't hurt either. I wasn't even sure it happened cuz he ACTED innocent by retreating quickly. :barnie

Maybe don't raise your next boy as a lap pet. Though some may get lucky... I've had much better roos who were treated as chickens. :fl

I'm not into all the training stuff peeps will suggest. Sometime sit works others not. I did try it with my lap boy and he just kept getting worse but EVERY single bird will be an individual. To me he is a danger and has GOT to go! :hmm

Hey there!

My rooster is about 11 months old and has started attacking my daughter and I. He got me by surprise this morning and it didn't hurt, but made me wanna hurt him back! He has been raised by my own hand and has always like us until recently. He's also been chased around by a dumb dog on our property and I wonder if that has triggered his aggression? He is also over mating about half my flock. The youngest gals are starting to bald! Is there anything I can do to curb his behavior? Does he need a time out? Is he just a bad egg or is this typical of a young man? Thank you for your help and advice!
Eat him.

Dido to percheron chick! There are plenty of very sweet roosters looking for good homes as they are the less desirable gender in the chicken world. So get a deserving one to share your space with. A well behaved gentleman can be a great addition to your flock as they protect your hens and alert to dangers. But a nasty rooster can have a negative effect on your flock, by causing Stress on your hens which will affect your egg production.

I love my rooster and couldn’t picture my flock without him! So I’m confident that you will find the right match for your flock.

Attachments

• 8186ADED-F0F5-441F-BACA-E34FEDADC89C.jpeg
    8186ADED-F0F5-441F-BACA-E34FEDADC89C.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 23
If your child is over 12 and not easily intimidated, maybe... but I agree with the posts above. A rotten rooster can really ruin the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. If anyone else comes over, he could be a liability.

If you read this forum, while this does not happen 100% of the time, there are a lot of aggressive roosters. They don't have a real large brain, retraining is often not effective, and may be selective, as in he will leave some people alone and attack others.

Mrs K

If he attacked your daughter, he's history. He doesn't get a second chance.

It's been pretty funny because he hasn't been successful and she has figured out how to posture towards him and get him to back off haha. They just dance back and forth, but after he got me today, I know its a matter of time until he catches her too!

Any tips on making the culling process easier? I haven't had the guts to do it yet, but have some fatty hens also just eating all my feed, dominating the pecking order and past the point of egg laying years. I am just not confident that I can pull the trigger or raise the axe haha. How do people get desensitized to it? Just go for it?

Back
Top Bottom